One Drop ThruLine

Anyone planning on getting a ThruLine?

It’s a bit large for my tastes - I enjoy big throws on occasion, but hard to justify the purchase when I know I probably won’t throw it too often. Would be really curious to hear everyone’s thoughts after they spend some time with it. :clap:t2:

4 Likes

were do we get one I can’t any on yoyoexpert.com

Right at home base.

oh I was looking here YoYos - One Drop YoYos

1 Like

A lot of my OD throws are average or undersized so I’m pumped to check this one out. Grabbed a brown one. I’ll report back when it gets here and I get some spin time on it.

2 Likes

You know I had to cop a clear :fire::fire::fire:

Really excited to try this one out and see how OD is stepping up their game.

9 Likes

Bumping this as I imagine some folks have finally gotten there hands on these. :smile:

2 Likes

Arrived! I spilled it over here though…

1 Like

I received my black one a few days ago. In the past month I also purchased a Wyvern, a Thorn, and a Wizard. My favorite so far is the Wizard(I love organics), followed by the ThruLine.

3 Likes

I’m still not 100% certain what this throw is. Is it just an oversized throw? They didn’t give much story behind this design.

It’s a wide yoyo with beefy rims to be compared next to things like the Spotlight, Wilderness, Deviant+, Genpop, etc.

It’s a yoyo to try and fit in more modern competition yoyo trends. Because OD released the Format:C 2, and people just complained how divorced it was from current competition yoyo trends. People complained that OD wouldn’t make the type of yoyo that the Thruline is, so they made it in response to all the people complaining.

People keep commenting on it as if it’s massive, but really it’s just following the established current comp trends, which is what the people who were asking for OD to make a yoyo like this wanted.

This post seems kind of negative with a lot of complaining, but in the end it seems like everyone wins. OD has a great new model in their lineup to sell, and the people who wanted to buy a modern comp yoyo from OD got their wish.

This is just my interpretation of the events that led up to the release of this yoyo though, if you ask OD themselves you might get a different answer. Regardless, sweet new release.

13 Likes

But the diameter is a oversized is it not? Are any of those throws you mentioned close to 60mm in diameter?

Wilderness and Genpop are both 58mm, so slightly smaller, but both of those are also like 4mm wider.

59.5 definitely on the upper end of normal diameter, but it’s certainly not insane or anything. Big diameter is just good for performance.

5 Likes

Clearly it’s an experiment in algorithmically informed cross-sectional mass distribution.

…yeah, idk either. That’s why I asked what people think. :laughing:

1 Like

But it is massive? Idk if I would call it comp, it’s too floaty I feel. But I need more time to try ripping on it. String burn here we come!

Idk if you’ve seen my lengthy review on this thing… but it’s weird lol

3 Likes

my best guess is they asked chat gpt to make a yoyo

1 Like

I am in the “ThruLine is a welcome addition to the collection” camp. It takes some initial adjustment but I haven’t found anything that it can’t do. Chopsticks and Buckets aren’t really an issue. It’s not getting tangled up doing tech. I don’t find it underpowered or tilt prone.

Granted, it’s not optimal for every element.

It is on the big side, but even within OD’s catalog the Wizard has more diameter and the 1to1 has more width. The T1 & T1 20/20 are only 0.3 mm less wide.

I also haven’t seen any criticisms that aren’t reasonable. It could definitely be bigger than someone prefers, even if it isn’t objectively too big. I don’t find this type of shape comfortable in general, and the size doesn’t help that.

7 Likes

Too big
-me

2 Likes

Update: I’m enjoying it, but I don’t feel like it has staying power for me. It’s fun, it’s big, it’s floaty, but it feels weirdly sterile and not very powerful despite its size and thick rims. The massive rims drew me in, it’s what makes me love Motion throws, THE POWER. That power isn’t here in the ThruLine. It’s not insanely stable as a result and just feels kinda like a big, light throw. It feels like nothing I’ve ever thrown before, so it has that going for it. Kinda eh, I’ll probably list it.

3 Likes