One Drop Rev 1 Review/Discussion

What do you want from the next Rev?

Google Photos

Google Photos

Since I’ve gotten this a couple of weeks ago I’ve been very happy and can’t understand why there aren’t really any topics dedicated to it,so I thought I’d start one. Please direct me if I’m just missing it.

This is the first OD I’ve owned so maybe I’m still biased because of production quality, but this thing is slick.

Super stable and long sponging, with little to no vibe on the finger and none on the string.
For me it plays a little heavy but has honestly been very helpful with early trick learning, it goes where I want it to and stays very level.
I can fingerspin well with this and grab the bind maybe 10% of the time, so I think that means it’s great at fingerspins.
Good sized catch zone, it grabs without being a guaranteed land and still feels soft when catching.
This is a very pretty yoyo. The Galaxy Explorer splash turns almost clear when it spins, I swoon a little every time.
It feels smooth on your skin but the blast is I think my only negative, it’s a little tacky and doesn’t grind very well.
So that’s my take.

I’m new to yoyo, I picked back up a month ago after retire my fireball in 2005. This yoyo excites me very much!!!

What will they do with the next Rev?
I don’t know that there a ways to “improve” this throw, so what do I want?

I want them to slowly take us Through different shapes.
Let’s go one way into an H…
Then take it back the other way into O…
After that shrink it down into a responsive…

So I’m way up on that new hobby high but this concept has got me and I believe deserves discussion.

What do you want from the next Rev?

7 Likes

I don’t think we’ll see them take this Rev through different shapes like that—that’s the Benchmark series—but I agree that it’d be cool to see them do Revs of all the different shapes.

I’ve been playing it back to back with the Top Deck. I’d almost like to see a gram or so shaved off. Maybe go Side Effect so we can play with weight by swapping SEs.

2 Likes

Benchmark…
Thanks

1 Like

Yeah, I am also curious what a light version of the Rev would be like, without changing its shape or overall weight distribution.

But you know, as much as I like the idea behind side effects, I tend to shy away from models that use them because OD almost never makes the side effects I want in the colors I want.

4 Likes

That’s legit. I’m not even sure if SE would even be “in scope” for this experiment. That said, it’d be cool to get an SE version alongside the tapped axle version at some point.

2 Likes

Same. I was really excited to try some SE yos and play with different colors and shapes… but at this point, I’ll take them or leave them.

1 Like

I like my Rev 1. It is a very middle of the road all around throw. It pushes no boundaries. It sits in the middle. I recently bought a One Drop mystery box that had a Rev 1 and was happy to have a second. I plan to put a centered bearing in one of them and then compare the two.

I don’t see One Drop being in any hurry to make a Rev 2. That is not their style. Look at their history and you don’t see a company built on upgrades. They try new things and give new names to their creations. If an update does come I think it will come with some major changes, a new name, and something in the description that states that the Rev 1 was a beginning point for the new design.

1 Like

The Kuntosh-Kuntosh 5000QV being the obvious exception. The later model was only an evolutionary, incremental step from the original, even sharing its name. I guess that’s very non-One Drop-like, but One Drop did it nonetheless.

Since the process of deciding how to tweak each new revision of the Rev will be highly informal, it’s impossible to say how they will all differ from each other. They could be very different, moderately different, or only incrementally different. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

The Rev 1 was made for the purpose of getting feedback and sooner rather than later making a Rev 2. The 2 will have both the original and new CAD design on the box. It’s all on their Rev 1 product page.

Edit: otherwise, I agree. The Rev 1 is a great throw, itself being a modification of the Top Deck. It’s my favorite all around throw.

2 Likes

The Rev 1 is a remarkable throw! Power and stability is outstanding. Hard to imagine improving it, but I would like to try a slightly lighter version and/or one with centering fingerspin capabilities or a matador spike. The Rev 1 really stands out at regens for me. The flip over action during a regen is so fast and effortless. I almost never find the yo-yo to be spinning in the opposite direction I intended after a regen.

3 Likes

I think my favorite thing about the Rev is the way it feels. Extremely comfortable to throw without being all out organic.

3 Likes

I like where this is going, let’s go to the facts we have.
From the sales page
“The point is that it usually comes down to personal taste. We end up choosing one of the revs even though all of them are good yo-yos and could be the one released. If you visit our factory, The Machinist has a special drawer with some of these un-released versions of yo-yos that you could try.

For the Rev, we want to give you this experience. Over time we will release different revisions of the Rev starting with “Rev 1”. Each release will be limited to 300 units and will not be made again. We plan on having the CAD cross-sections on the box art. For the first one, there will be one cross-section. For the second one, there will be two overlapping cross-sections so that you can compare the difference in the design and then compare the difference in play.”

So we all know the idea, now I think we are left with two big questions.

What/how dramatic will these changes be?

When?

As to when, If you go on the sales page you’ll see that they have stock in all colors. Judging from the amount of commentary around the web I am assuming they have a good amount unsold, it may still be a while.

Three things I’ve heard so far have given me more defined thoughts on things that could be cool.

I agree, I like the catch. I see no reason to change the outside.

Here is a very rough drawing done on my phone.

Google Photos

If you cut some material from the body and push it out towards the rim, would this cut some weight and increase spin time? You pair this with brass SE and try to keep the overall weight and hopefully play close to the same. OD can then cash in on selling accessories and bundle in some ultra lights, which could change the way it feels overall.

I have not/do not design yo-yos, obviously this is all speculation. This is presented to inspire interest and new ideas.

I hope that this process might effect my question for when…One Drop…sooner?

Would love to see side effects on the Rev2 - other than that it’s an exceptional throw, in my opinion

2 Likes

Not necessarily. OD seems pretty comfortable with moving forward with new designs when predecessor throws are still in stock. Look at the Terrarian’s stock here at YYE; didn’t stop them from releasing the Legendary Terrarian. And a 300-unit run is pretty large for the yoyo world. I’d be surprised if we didn’t see at least a Rev2 in 2020.

2 Likes

I wonder how many Rev 1’s they moved out of stock when they put them in mystery boxes? The mystery boxes sell out fast.

1 Like

Well I believe there were 80 mystery boxes this time around? Someone tell me if I am wrong but for some reason I am thinking it was 80. Not sure if they put a Rev and a VTwo in every box but if so they were extremely generous. I love both of them.