One Drop presents the VIRTUOSO!

From One Drop: It’s always intriguing to make a signature yo-yo. We always invite the player to contribute as much as possible to the design so that this important moment for them is the best it can be. A good measure of success is if the yo-yo is a reflection of the person. Ethan Cheung is a player on our team who is focused on competitive yo-yoing, but he doesn’t sacrifice any artistry in this pursuit. This rare combination makes Ethan stand out.

If you watch Ethan Cheung’s performance at Worlds 2018 in Shanghai you will notice precision, artistry, clarity, mastery. If you look at his signature yo-yo, the Virtuoso, you will notice the same characteristics. The 7075 aluminum alloy design is very focused towards function as a hard core competitive yo-yo with all the performance you would expect. If you look closely, you’ll also see the artistry with the clean flowing lines, the minimalist cup, the light bead blast, and the beautiful “projection profile” on the face of the rim giving a small nod to our first yo-yo, the Project.

Ethan explains his thought process on designing his signature yo-yo:

“At a glance, the design is reminiscent of the Format:C: which was the yoyo that allowed me to push my own boundaries and place 10th at Worlds in Iceland. But if you look more closely, you’ll notice the grooves on the rim - a tribute to the original Project and the roots of One Drop. For this signature model, I wanted a yoyo that would allow me to explore more styles of movement, that complements any style of play thrown at it. It is this balance of comfort and performance, of minimalism and detail, that makes us proud to present: the Virtuoso.”

Tuesday 4/16 @ 11:59PM EDT.

16 Likes

Wow, so many tasty colors!

1 Like

… aaaaand no side effects. Again. Why do “signature players” hate side effects so much?

3 Likes

I think it might boil down to use in a contest. With the having to tune side effect throws from time to time it may be less consistent than a non SE can offer.

1 Like

“Hate” is a strong word. They don’t hate Side Effects at all. Most of the time the reason is because a flat hub is not possible with Side Effects (one of the only downsides to the system). If they want a flat hub, then that rules it out. This isn’t always the reason, but most of the time.

After the Sugar Glider, we have two new Side Effect yoyos coming.

@Z_Car Side Effect throws don’t need tuning :slight_smile:

12 Likes

What’s so desirable about a flat hub? Fingerspins? I don’t get it.

1 Like

I can’t speak for all - the reasons for preference vary. But one technical thing is weight distribution. I’m sure some like the aesthetic as well.

9 Likes

I have a handful of SE throws and they are great, though not necessarily because of the side effects. I mean, side effects are cool and all, but the one reason I don’t love them is that I can rarely find them in the color(s) I want.

1 Like

I think a common misunderstanding with Side Effects is that one has to change them. At the core, they are the axle system. But there is the added benefit of being able to change them. If you never change them, they function just like any other axle system.

11 Likes

Soooooo, is there a chance that there might be a side effect version of this? To own both would be amazing. Compare and contrast how different the same yoyo but with side effects is.

1 Like

Unlikely, they’ve never done that before.

I can see the argument that it would compromise the design as well, since you design around a flat cup with lower center weight.

2 Likes

am i the only one who can hear virtuoso like deliciouso

2 Likes

Has anyone played this? Looks so fresh! I know it hasn’t dropped yet but what’s the word on the proto? Any hands on info is appreciated!

1 Like

Those solids look great. I’ve always liked One Drop’s solids. Very rich colors.

2 Likes

This was my thought as well. for most, I bet it’s the weight distribution, but perhaps to some, it’s just aesthetics. Quite often it’s both I’m sure.

2 Likes

I can see this being a possibility, but personally I’ve never had to tune any OD with or without SE. If anything, I feel less concerned about taking them apart than other yoyos.

I wondered if one reason might be that competitors usually have an idea of exactly how they want the yoyo to perform. The tapped axle at least locks in the play characteristics that are effected by weight and weight distribution. I imagine it also might make designing, and conceptualizing the weight distribution a bit more straightforward.

1 Like

Yeah, same here. I am intrigued by its shape, and I’d like to hear how it feels and performs compared to, say, the VTWO and the Top Deck (my two favorite One Drops).

1 Like

It’s solid, stable, and fun. Proto is, not sure the changes between proto and production.

1 Like

Same here.

However, conspicuously missing colors: blue, purple, and pink. :disappointed:

2 Likes

The yo-yo is stunning. Congrats to Ethan on such a great design!

9 Likes