One Drop Parlay versus 54

So the specs for the Parlay and 54 are almost the same, and as such my question is this:

If one already has a Parlay, why get a 54 (apart from collecting purposes)?

Or vice versa, if one already has a 54, why get a Parlay?

What does one offer that the other does not?

2 Likes

Just did a spec comparison based on this post and it is kind of uncanny how similar they are!

I think the main diff with the parlay is this:

The Parlay features the now signature One Drop response bump, though the area around the bump is sunken into the yoyo, effectively creating the Response Moat. This gives you the classic high wall feeling that will whip your ā– ā– ā–  into shape, but also gives you increased spin time by reducing string friction.

The 54 does not have the moat which means in theory you would get less spin time as there would be more friction? I have a Parlay in the mail, but have never tried the 54. Also the parlay has a more ā€œtrue organic/bellā€ shape, whereas the 54 has a large flat rim outside of the catch zone.

54:

Parlay:

2 Likes

Hey zslane,
I own both and I would say they have a very different hand feeling. But apart from that I find the 54 a hint heavier play wise.

3 Likes

Since you own both, @Kray, which of the two would you give up (and sell) if you had to, and why?

1 Like

@zslane I would keep the 54 because it strikes for me more the nostalgic feeling (if I am in the mood for it).
And I find it feels a bit more powerful what I like.

4 Likes

Despite the similar shape I feel like the 54 plays smaller and wider. I far prefer it to the parlay but thatā€™s just me, theyā€™re both great designs

3 Likes

Interesting! that is good to know.

They play and feel significantly different. You want both.

4 Likes

Well, I have both. Iā€™m trying to justify keeping both.

I am wondering if maybe I am missing something about eitherā€“not related to personal preferencesā€“that might make the decision an easy one for me.

I have both, I personally think the 54 plays a bit more stable than the parlay, both are good, if I could only keep one it would be the 54

1 Like

I find them to play very different, I really like the 54 but the parlay just doesnā€™t do it for me. Iā€™d ditch the parlay for a sudo, its much better. Keep the 54, Iā€™ve found I like mine best with aluminum spikes. Iā€™ve tried almost every kind of side effect in the parlay, I think ultra lites work best probably because the parlay benefits from the reduced center weight.

4 Likes

Get a Sudo

5 Likes

Keep the 54, first SE yoyo. Keep the Parley, Static Co. dudes rock.
Then pick up a Sudo, Al7 goodness; beats ā€˜em both.

4 Likes

Nice thread that helps answer my curiosity about the Parlay. Iā€™ve only had the 54 (twice now, I like it).

1 Like