One Drop Flat Bearings Are Outdated: Change My Mind

Thank you for coming and answering everyone’s questions here! It really shows your commitment to your customers.
Let me bother you with one more:
Do OD team members compete with flat bearings?

1 Like

My pleasure :slight_smile: It’s good stuff to talk about.

Some do, some don’t. I would need to ask them all to get a current list. It’s not something we really think much about.

7 Likes

Are you sure it is not the bearing? I have found some of the Buddha bearings to be … not so great, to the point that the bearing makes the yo-yo feel “vibey”. Noticed this when I put a cheap Buddha bearing in a Ti-Vayder, seemed oddly vibey, replaced it with a DS, bam totally smooth again.

Just sayin’

(And there is substantial variance in generic bearing rattling as well, even in the same brand.)

2 Likes

Buddha Whipples in particular are pretty garbage. Not cuz of the design but the quality.

2 Likes

It could also be that the Buddha bearing damaged the post. The damaged could have been amplified by the tight bearing post. Hard for me to know. Either way, the Corruption’s bearing post was too tight.

1 Like

Hard to say unless you switch bearings to test.

I own probably 600+ yo-yos and I obviously have not changed bearings in all of them (why would I) but I have maybe swapped ~20 that were not One Drops and I have never once damaged a bearing post, or found a bearing removal tool particularly hard to use. Just wiggle it out.

Every single One Drop I own (except the 2016 benchmarks which I mostly gave away) gets a bearing swap immediately on arrival, and it is real easy. The downside is that it is a bit too easy! One Drop bearings will flop out on disassembly even when you just want to fix a gnarly knot and have no intention of pulling the bearing. That is how my son lost a MMC bearing while we were out and about. I carry extra strings but not extra bearings…

Freedom ain’t free, folks. It costs a buck oh fiiiiiive…

4 Likes

I don’t think we have a father and son on these forums, that’d be interesting :joy: not sure how old he is though

I had already changed the bearing back and the problem proceeded.

It’s cool that you have never damaged a bearing post or found a bearing removal tool hard to use. I also know how to use a bearing removal tool; just wiggle it, right? I’m able to realize when a bearing post is too tight.

I guess we don’t really have a good statistical sample concerning damaged bearing posts or bearing posts experiences for an in-depth discussion, only anecdotal evidence; for instance, I’ve never had a onedrop bearing “flop” out on me and disappear into the void. Furthermore, I consider the so called downside of the bearing being “too easy” not a problem or minuscule at most. It’s really more of an aspect of the bearing rather than problem. It’s not too tight; it’s not too loose. It fits just right. The Goldilocks bearing post.

2 Likes

Are you saying you’ve never seen any ano rubbed of the bearing post? That’s evidence of damage.

Many of my YYF and other throws immediately have bearing post damage from the very first unscrew.

3 Likes

Ano rubbed off the post is not “damage” and anyone who tells you it is has something to sell you. Now if it is big old dents and tears from sloppy plier applications, sure…

Bearings that pop off the seat with the mere application of gravity are kind of an anti-feature from my perspective. I want the bearing to stay put when I open the yo-yo, so “just tight enough” is superior. I hate juggling loose parts around every time I get a knot.

1 Like

Yes it is.

I suppose ano removed from the body with no scratches isn’t damage either.

2 Likes

OD just said to prevent vibe the margin of error is less than that of the variation introduced by the thickness of ano. So i think it is imaginable that scratching off the ano can create a deformity to the post in such a way that may create vibe.

Personally i have done this to my og draupnir, it was beat to hell to begin with, but still not much vibe, but when i tried a very tight all ceramic bearing and scratched some ano off the post, i can never get it vibe free again.

2 Likes

To be honest, your language seems a tad loaded, making it seem worse than it is:"“flop out”, “pop off”, “mere application of gravity”, “freedom ain’t free.”

It’s even a little condescending, for example, giving direction on how to use a bearing removal tool: “Just wiggle it.” or “sloopy plier applications” implying that I or others have know idea what we are doing.

I’ve never thought to myself, “You know the problem with this yoyo, when I open it open, gravity just takes control of the bearing, pulling it to the ground.”

To be fair, I use some loaded language myself. While addressing your missing bearing, I state, how it rolled into the “void”.

Perhaps, I’m taking you wrong. If so, I apologize in advanced. Sometimes in our goal of being descriptive and visual we ignore the nuance in word meanings.

However, I can see your point of view concerning onedrop’s greatest bearing post of all time (<-- just having fun). Yet, I don’t feel the bearing coming out nicely is a problem because of the application of gravity.

EDIT: One final thought, we’re all lucky at the wide variety of choices in yoyos that are available. It seems that there is something for everyone.

2 Likes

IMO That’s definitely not loaded language

Unless you’re joking and I’m just dumb and can’t tell

3 Likes

I agree.

People really take things too seriously nowadays

3 Likes

Yes, perhaps I took things “too serious” in a 430+ post thread about onedrop flat bearings.

I thought my opinion might be unpopular but did not want to just end a discussion because of it. No harm or ill will is intended; codinghorror is a stand-up guy.

4 Likes

I dunno, I’ve heard he flops over on occasion with the mere application of gravity.

16 Likes

This is correct.

1 Like

For Side Effects yoyos the bearing should just fall off. Which is why we recommend holding the yoyo cup side down while you unscrew it. If you do this simple trick, the bearing will never fall off.

5 Likes

Wait people open them the other way?

I have dropped a bearing before from a loose post but it is such a minor problem compared to too tight of a post. Also in comparison to a fhz with orings bearing seats and a bearing it’s nothing haha. 5 smaller pieces to lose. I never thought it was that big of a deal. Now that’s it’s one it a laughable complaint.

2 Likes