One Drop Dilemma

I have a Dingo, Yelets, 54, and Summit.

I learned to throw unresponsive with the Dingo. I didn’t know any different. I liked the size and quality of it. It was given to me by a good friend who had owned it and never learned to bind. I told him I was interested in unresponsive yoyo’s and he traded me the throw! Looking back I wish I hadn’t learned on an undersize. LOL

After 3 months of playing with the Dingo I decided I really liked Yoyoing and wanted to try getting a full size yoyo so I ordered the 54 for Christmas and snagged a discounted Yelets.

When they arrived I tried both. Liked the Yelets a little better. It felt better to me. Looking back I am sure it is because I learned on the Dingo.

I picked up a used Summit from the BST and started playing with that. Suddenly my Yelets started to feel very narrow and small. LOL

I like the Summit. It is HUGE to me! I like how easy it is to hit strings. I don’t like how easy it is to hit the wrong string. ::slight_smile: It is a fun throw.

Yesterday I picked up my 54 that I have barely played with. I threw it around a little and thought that it felt pretty good. Tried some tricks and nailed every trick in my tiny lexicon. Then I did something I had never done before. I landed 5 eli hops in a row! Usually I struggle to land 1 or 2!

So here is my dilemma… How come the yoyo I initially was underwhelmed with and didn’t throw hardly at all turned out to be the yoyo I throw the best?

Anyone else every throw one yoyo exclusively for a few weeks and then pick up a different yoyo and realize it seemed to fit your play better?

Well, you started small and narrow. Your skills are a bit more precise with so much practice with undersized and narrow throws. No wonder a summit feels chunky for you.

For sure! I am very yoyo size aware.

The Summit is a good fun throw. It is very quickly growing on me. In fact I am going to play with it after I post this reply. :slight_smile:

I love how light it feels despite being my heaviest. I swear it feels lighter then my 54.

I have set aside my Dingo and Yelets as my throws for while I am over concrete. I put the ding in Dingo. They are also my learn new tricks go to yoyo’s.

I feel very well rounded with these 4 yoyo’s. The problem is I NEED more yoyos to farther diversify my options. It’s a problem.

After seeing the difference in play from yoyo to another it really makes me think about having a variety to play with…

Oh yeah. The summit is a floaty yoyo for sure. Pnwr is next month. You’ll be able to try tons of yoyos to see what else you’d like to add to your collection.

I think as time progress, your skill should progress also, and to improve, you need more than practice.
you need to try more throws to know what best for you.

Dilemma? Not really. Every yoyo is great for learning different things. For example, the dingo is small and narrow even though the gap is fairly large. There’s barely any slope for the string to hit and be drawn into the gap. The small size of the Dingo also allows it to easily move between and around strings.

So the Dingo is good for learning accuracy, and moving through small spaces between strings and it fits in the pocket easily.

The other yoyos you mention probably spin longer, are wider and have more slope so string hits are easier and don’t require as much accuracy. However, spaces between the string segments need to be opened more for the yo pass through. Opening those spaces is an entirely different skill.

Now your dilemma is the yo you liked the least is your favorite? It’s growth. You are getting to the point where you can throw more and more yoyos proficiently. Instead of wondering about things like hitting the string, throwing the slack, which you do naturally now, you are thinking about how the yo it’s self feels and plays. Don’t be surprised if your favorites keep changing, sometimes back to yoyos that were previous favorites, or even long forgotten yoyos you find laying around the house from time to time. My favorites change all the time.

I throw several yoyos, at least two and sometimes many more, every day. For me it’s all about variety.

2 Likes

I really like the SE system for just this reason, most of my collection is OD. I switch around the side effects every couple of weeks.

ugh you started with like the worst OD of all time. Props for learning anything on that awful thing

One drop dilemma yields a negative tone. Maybe a different title for this…

The dingo is not a bad yoyo at all. Maybe its not the best to start on, but its definitely not the worst.

I of course met no disrespect to the OD brand with this title. My One Drop Dilemma is that I can’t pick a favorite since it keeps changing. I love all of mine. ;D

I still love and enjoy my Dingo! It was a pain to learn the trapeze but other then that it has been a lot of fun. I enjoy the extra challenge of the undersize throw. The Dingo will grow on you if you throw it enough. Mine is all banged up and still throws smooth. :slight_smile:

i just started practicing string tricks about 5 weeks ago on a Duncan Pro Z with the spacers(ends up being about 1.5in wide, so i guess its undersized) as my first string yoyo (I had been practicing looping for about 2 months on and off before that) and I just got a Protostar today and it feels much easier than my Pro Mod Z, probably due to it being 1.69in wide.

However, strangely enough after playing with the Protostar for a day, I tried out my Pro Z again and it was somehow much easier than before. I think I was able to learn tricks better on the Protostar since it was easier to use, and that was able to translate over to the Pro Mod Z.

I’ve noticed several distinct shifts in my yoyo preferences over the years. One yoyo can completely change your perspective, and suddenly your old favorites seem a bit lacking. It certainly can be a dilemma - an expensive one!

Luckily, as others have stated, you’ll learn a lot every time this happens. A few examples: heavy yoyos tend to encourage smoothness, light ones force you to increase your speed, narrow ones your accuracy, wide ones your string manipulation, a fussy yoyo can help you develop a sense of delicacy, and a pure performance yoyo makes it easier to start learning difficult stuff like horizontals.

My only advice is to not be too hasty with selling you old throws, at least if you can avoid it. Sometimes these “phases” are short lived, and it’ll feel very refreshing to return to your old standbys. Eventually, over the course of years, after you’ve tried a ton of different throws, your tastes will sort of settle down a bit. At least I hope this last part is true; mine have remained the same for a couple years now, at least.