One Drop D-bearing Side Effects

I would love to see OD make a SE system for D bearing yoyos that could be interchanged with their C-bearing throws. This would really showcase the differences between C & D-bearings without conflicting variables.

I know the pads are generally different based on the bearing, but would 19mm pads be an issue with a D bearing?

3 Likes

yeah, the bearings have different inner and outer diameters. First you would need two different side effects one for C and one for D, and then youā€™d also have to account for the gap that would be exposed:

(I forget who I stole this base image from sorryā€¦)

basically the D bearing would not be as large as the C bearing, and so youā€™d expose a bit of the gap:

solve this problem and you can probably do it, maybe a 3d printed insert or something who knows

2 Likes

I second this :raising_hand_man:t5:

When I came back to throwing last year and heard of OD for the first time, I instantly thought it was a bearing based gimmick.

I was so shocked when I saw no small bearing option :rofl:

I feel like a lot of debates in ā€˜09 were SB vs LB.

What did I miss? Why have Ds vanished from major line ups?
Not to mention A bearings. Where they at?

Plus
Wouldnā€™t it be interchangeable from a design standpoint with these Side effect guts?
YYF literally used to switch out for an A and keep it moving.

This topic alone has made me get into yo-yo design just to understand it more for myself.
And maybe drop a batch of yoyos that just donā€™t exist right now.
If I can get the casholo for it :money_with_wings:

1 Like

Yall are in luck! Freshly dirty seems to have made an axle system that works with both C and D bearings. Its called the stem.

9 Likes

Canā€™t wait to see these at nats itā€™s on my list for sure

2 Likes

Im excited too! Very curious how that works! Freshly dirty always comes up with some neat stuff

2 Likes

The stem system FD has is so cool. I canā€™t wait till it drops

Iā€™ve got to play with some protos at club and itā€™s just a fun system.

4 Likes

Not Side Effects. But ZGRT had a swappable system in the Albrije.

4 Likes

DOOOPE canā€™t wait to get my hands on that

1 Like

Youā€™d need to change the entire bearing seat between bearing swaps. You could design a D bearing yoyo and just randomly have it use 19mm pads meant for C bearing yoyos if you really felt like it, but you still need the actual bearing seat to accommodate the smaller bearing.

The EX series of yoyos from yoyojoker accomplished this by doing whatā€™s esssentially a more elaborate version of Duncan mod spacers.

Duncan also did the Flipside which was an interesting approach, where the spacer acted as both the bearing post and the bearing seat. A bearings are the same inner diameter as D bearings. Since side effects need to go through the yoyo from the outside, you couldnā€™t really accomplish this with just a single piece, although you could maybe have a spacer designed to act as a D bearing seat that rests within an OD C bearing seat. Itā€™d probably be very hard to do this in a way that results in a smooth yoyo, and youā€™re still going to have to put up with the response being so far away from the bearing, which makes both throws and binds feel really weird.

I doubt OD would ever make something like this, but it could be an interesting thing for a modder to make, since you could just turn a C bearing side effect to have a smaller post size for the D bearing, and then make some kind of spacer to fit into existing bearing seat. Itā€™d probably work better for A bearings than D bearings though, because the more narrow width of A bearings would give you actual room to work with for creating the spacer. Although I guess there technically wouldnā€™t be a problem with just extending the gap further. But considering youā€™re already going to be dealing with a huge gap between the outer diameter of the D bearing and the C bearing response pads, widening the gap of the yoyo further sounds like a bad idea in terms of having a yoyo thatā€™s actually nice to play.

4 Likes

the most difficult part with any of these systems is getting the halves to be perfectly aligned otherwise you end up with vibe. Iā€™m not sure how FD has dont it but the stem system works really well in this regard unlike cabal guts or even the alebrije parts that if the halves arenā€™t perfectly aligned or seat completely flat you get pulse vibe super easily.

Even the duncan mod spacers can get viby easily if they arenā€™t fit just right.

You have a great point. Precision, body material and weight distribution are key for this type of components.

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s just a lot easier with all machined pieces. The issue with mod spacers is being old injection molded plastic, used on injection molded plastic yoyos. And the issue with the Alebrije being that the yoyo halves are made out of wood.

Yoyojoker EX system stuff was smooth, Mowl kinda uses the same setup for the MRL and itā€™s always smooth. I think Tom Kuhn did something like that recently with the SBX and Iā€™d bet those are all completely smooth.

Side effects are definitely a different story though, but I donā€™t think thereā€™s really any issues any more with just getting smooth yoyos that can swap bearing sizes. Although I guess even if given a smooth consumer product with a low B grade rate, systems with more moving parts probably arenā€™t gonna be worth it for people obsessed over nail vibe. Just more that can go wrong through user error.

1 Like

Iā€™m just relaying my experience with various designs Iā€™ve played and my own struggles trying to print smooth yoyos. its a challenge that personally I havenā€™t got to the point Iā€™m happy with in my own work so far.

Personally, I love all the cool designs that use a system like this and i hope to see more of them as time goes on. As we see with yoyo joker and various other older designs this concept isnā€™t new but its definitely evolving with better precision and new materials to play with.

One of the neat yoyos you dont even realize but has a sort of spacer system like this is the yoyoformula D1 is just delrin halves with a neat spacer system for the hub. Its fun when you open a yoyo and see what is holding the whole thing together.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, but I donā€™t have the best engineering mind. Can you give me some perspective of whatā€™s going on in this diagram (i.e. zoom out)?

To clarify, by interchangeable, I meant have a size D side effect than could be popped into a yoyo meant for size C SEs - not one SE rule them all.

Forgive me since Iā€™m new to One Drop (and yoyo design in general), but donā€™t the SEs act as both the bearing posts & seat for SE yoyos?

2 Likes

in the drawing the white parts on the left/right are the yoyo halves, the gold areas are grooves cut in for the bearing and the response pad.

a c bearing is approximately 3.XXmm larger outer diameter than the D bearing, using a D bearing in a yoyo half designed to accomodate a C bearing would result in a large gap around the outer edge of the bearing that string would be able to drift into.

the side effect acts as the bearing post, the seat is the part of the yoyo half the bearing rests on.

2 Likes

FD Stem System dropping this weekend at Nationals looks like this concept @Saltman360

8 Likes

They are more like cabal guts.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this. I ask because even though Iā€™m a novice in yoyo design, I genuinely want to understand.

I couldnā€™t find much about the anatomy of SEs (probably because their genius is their simplicity), so I was mostly guessing from the looks of my Reboot. The bearing sits almost exactly perpendicular on the SEā€¦

And I thought this little bump above the o-ring was the seat.

That clearly wouldnā€™t have made sense, if I would have paid attention to the fact that that part doesnā€™t protrude to the inside of the yoyo. To be fair, it doesnā€™t look like thereā€™s much of a seat on the Reboot:

I didnā€™t know that little groove was the seat originally. Now I see why others have said this would likely be a job for modders, as that certainly complicates things (besides the gap that the string could get caught in). I get why a different design all together would be better than SEs to accomplish that goal. Thanks for bearing with me!

Is there some variance from brand to brand? The data I found showed a difference of 1.7mm (11mm for D; 12.7 for C). Not trying to ā€œfact checkā€ you or anything - again, just genuinely curious since Iā€™m looking to get into design at some point.

3 Likes

I had to grab an Orchid at the FD table yesterday. This thing is so cool and I love how it feels and plays. The body is made out of teflon.

6 Likes