One Drop & Bearings

Ok - so this is a weird one and I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this or just me.

Any bearing I seem to put in nearly any of my OD gets responsive so fast.

I use the same method to clean all my bearings, paper slip method to get gunk out, 1 minute soak in 100% acetone, then another minute of shaking it up. Hyper spin with canned air and finger spin, then the tiniest pinhead of lube. Followed by a few flops and playing to get the lube distributed.

All my other throws stay unresponsive for ages it seems. But my OD’s always seem to last maybe an hour.

Idk if I am going absolutely crazy or anyone else experiences this?

Love my OD’s and it’s worth it haha, but just a weird occurrence!!

3 Likes

I’ve experienced this on my newer one drops made in the last year or so (5 yo-yos)

The 4 od I bought in the same span of time were made pre 2016 and haven’t experienced the problem.

1 Like

Weird, and it happens no matter what bearing you pop in there?

If you’re having this problem on side effect effect throws sometimes you can get some gunk buildup where the side effects slot in, or someone has put too much lube on the taper over the years and it can eventually make its way to the bearing. I’ve had success after cleaning out the slots (for lack of a better term) completely and reapplying just a little bit of lube for it.

Have never had this issue with non-SE throws.

For what it’s worth I swap every OD bearing out the second I get it for a CT, so that might affect my perspective.

3 Likes

I find that the stock OD bearings are remarkably smooth and quiet for me for like 10 minutes and then they turn noisy and responsive. I can, however, clean and swap bearings and they generally stay unresponsive for a reasonable amount of time (for me that’s about a week due to dust/cats/etc.).

5 Likes

No SE, but are you supposed to lube the holes where they go?! This is news to me

The idea is you put a tiny amount of lube on the O-ring on the side effect, and then it’ll stop you from ever stripping the side effect since if you torque it hard enough the half will just spin on the o-ring. I’ve known plenty of people that run them without lube though and never bother though, but lubing is what onedrop recommends to do.

4 Likes

Oh got it, thanks!

This happened to me with pano when I got it and I wasn’t sure if it was over lube or what but I eventually got annoyed and just played through the off and on loudness and response issues but now that bearing is super quiet and works really well. I don’t know what a bearing break in period is but I’ve heard people talk about that and maybe that might play a factor? Idk this is just my personal observation from the one od I have had this issue come up with and not applicable to everything I don’t think.

4 Likes

Yeah OD bearings definitely have a break in period.

6 Likes

way less lube than center trac bearings
like 1/3rd of a pinhead

2 Likes

Maybe not that frequently but yes I do have to clean and relube my OD bearings a lot more than anything else! Maybe like every week, which still seems excessive lol

1 Like

I call this the OD Crunch.

I run my bearings completely dry. After it breaks in, it feels like a lubed up bearing without having to ever lube it, just absolutely buttery.

4 Likes

Basically I gotta play through it then it sounds like

Try cleaning the bearing seat and post, ive had issues like that with certain yoyos just wrecking bearings, cleaned the seat and posts and problem solved. Hope you get it figured out!

1 Like