OD 10 ball bearing issue

Hello there it’s been a while! I’m enjoying my Top Deck throw every now and then. However, I’ve recently decided to clean my OD 10 ball bearing and lube it. It plays EXTREMELY smooth and quiet ( the way I like it) but it doesn’t last long enough. Actually I would say it dies pretty quickly but it’s not responsive tho.

1 Like

Does it still have the shields?

1 Like

Nope I removed the shields.

2 Likes

I had a bearing act like that before, it just needed some break-in time. If you have a can of compressed air and a pencil/chopstick, you can break it in nearly instantly by putting the bearing on the pencil/chopstick and spraying it with compressed air. The bearing will rev up to super fast RPMs which will help break it in.

6 Likes

My experience with the OD 10 Balls (3 diff bearings) is similar, even without string dragging on the walls for whatever reason they just don’t spin for as long.

Shields removed, cleaned in 100% acetone, ran them dry, and played through the common “banshee shriek” that they get but no luck for me.

Shame because they are v smooth and almost silent once broken in.

2 Likes

I suppose it makes sense that 10-ball bearings wouldn’t spin as long. Two extra balls cause 25% more drag than 8-ball bearings.

Ivan

2 Likes

Sadly I don’t have access to compressed air atm :confused: but thanks for the suggestion

1 Like

Yes the smoothness of OD 10 ball is insane after cleaning, the decrease in spin time is just weird I’ve been playing for 2 days non stop to break it in.

1 Like

How much lube did you use? Too much can slow it down. Another reason folks use compressed air is It can spin out excess lube.

2 Likes

Tiny drop on a needle lol

1 Like

Perhaps a bearing upgrade… I remember reading on here a while back about how OD 10-ball bearings are outdated…

I know if I said that I would get hate so please don’t attack me :stuck_out_tongue: but I think OD yoyos are a valuable throws to have ( maybe a boutique kind of product ). But let’s be honest they are not THAT good I would say they play just normal. My K-edge plays a lot better and more fun than my Top Deck. That’s totally based on my personal opinion so none of the fact I have stated is exactly right.

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll be honest, I think One Drop yo-yos are fantastic :grin: as you emphasize at the end of your post, this is completely your opinion and based on your personal tastes for throws, as is me thinking their throws are fantastic :slight_smile: Personally, I have not thrown a One Drop that I don’t like and I love how unique a lot of their designs are, like the 1to1, Fat Tire, Silhouette, etc. Plus there’s the side effect system which is an added layer of peace of mind; if you ever strip a side effect yo-yo, you can just simply replace the side effects. With a tapped axle, you have to re-tap it which isn’t always possible. One Drops aren’t as competition focused though, so if that style of yo-yo is your jam, I can see why you would prefer different yo-yos.

4 Likes