"Old Folks" who Can Sort of Throw BATTLE 2014 - Discussion and Rules

Burdger, you can definitely enter. I’d like to reinforce that you don’t need “approval”, though. If YOU say, “yup, I think I’m one of the old folks” then you’re qualified. :wink:

Rasu, you could always enter under the suspicion that you’re not going to win… just to claim your free whatever I come up with… (probably pack of string). All you need to do is have the gumption to put your skills (no matter how you evaluate them!) on a 1-minute video. The more the merrier!

Rasu, no reason to wait. I had only been throwing a month or 2 when last year’s contest came up. It took me about 100 takes and I still came up 15 seconds short, but it was a lot of fun. The contest pushed me to try stuff and got me involved with other forum members.

I think I will try to get a “video link guardian” this year… the only reason people were somewhat hesitant about me both organizing and participating last year is that there was concern that I might have the advantage of seeing people’s videos and then modifying mine to compete (not a chance, but I don’t blame people for skepticism!). The only reason to collect links early is to have them ready for the “voting” thread anyhow and make sure that the deadline is more or less respected.

Then we’d all submit our links to the “guardian” who would then fire them over to me once the deadline had been hit.

Regarding the edits: I do plan to be in different locations, using different yoyos. I will be emphasizing that it’s the tricks that count (not the locations etc), but if I’m making a video anyhow I like to push myself to try stuff like that. Anyhow, wanted to put that out there as an FYI in case you thought you needed to be in one place with one yoyo. :wink:

hell, I think I will always be category 1 but so what…

ginny

maybe 2, 3 or 4 as well.

It was just inadvertently locked. Fixed now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I ma try … I don’t think I have actually tried to make a video before … 1 min shudnt b that hard (I think)… Can I just do Eli hops? Lol

In the spirit of supporting the old guys, one of the contestants has donated a Mint in Box MagicYoyo N12 Shark’s Honor (reportedly the best of their line!).

I didn’t double-check with him if he wanted his name shared, so I’ll keep it to myself. I thought to myself when I got his PM, “Yo, old man, that’s mighty generous of you” but I didn’t ask him about is desire for privacy. Maybe he’ll step forward and take credit since I’m keeping it a secret. :smiley:

I’ve been talking a bit with modman10-- need to finish up that conversation and then we’ll have an idea of the string situation!

Greg

Prizes updated in the first post. Two yoyos thus far, string for ALL COMERS and bonus string for runner-up now in the list.

One of the major companies has signed on as well; just hammering out the details for which prize they would like to offer.

Although my first post indicated I’m competing, I have decided that just to ensure there’s no “conflict of interest” in being an organizer and competitor, I will defer any of my prizes on the OFF CHANCE that I actually win anything. Prizes will cascade as though I weren’t on the list at all (my results just get skipped). I will, however, reserve the right to brag wildly if I manage to place. :wink:

2 Likes

“brag wildly” <----- please video this action when it happens. It should prove to be endlessly entertaining. =)

You bet I will. :wink:

Count myself and Peter Fuller in!!! We will be making our videos over the next few weeks!!!

Awesome!

Also: Tropicspins has donated a 20-pack of their new string line, Tropicstrings as well as a shiny new 10-ball bearing (gotta love dem 10-balls!) to the pot.

I am super geeked about this, I haven’t seen a good contest here in a while. I am especially excited to hear the music choices older generations like to yoyo to. Good luck to you all.

1 Like

You mean I can’t just use Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy”? I have to be an old fart? :wink:

(I used the intro from “Hot for Teacher” last time. Haha!)

Update: another major manufacturer is on board as a sponsor; again, just hammering out a few details. :slight_smile:

If you decided to use Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy” I might question more than your age there Greg…

I’d Stick with Hot for Teacher

Flubbed the heck out of the beginning and the end, but…

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipgvb5c2UQo)

Not gonna lie-- I’mma have to recycle some of that for this contest, too. :wink:

At least it wasn’t Dark Horse…

Does anyone have any other Sport 1A vids from NER? I’d like to see what I’d be up against if I ever decided to compete in that division…

There should be a bunch here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFvP2pYRLU6MjYkugYgVONg

Probably have to sort through’em, though. At NER, there are age categories-- can’t say if all contests are the same.

This one says overall 1A winner in sports division.  shrugs