Offstring Open String Catches Help

I can never get a good open string catch. Every time I try, when it the string goes in the gap of the yoyo, it just slides out. I have tried a long string, short string, and even a knot at the end of the string. Can anyone help me?

The gap of the yo-yo plays a big role in pulling off this trick consistently.

What are you throwing for 4A?

To compensate, catch the yo-yo farther up the string (meaning there is more string available to wrap around the yo-yo). In other words, try to catch the yo-yo as close as possible to your hand if you are having trouble making the yo-yo come back.

There’s a good chance though that a lot of the problem may not be your fault. Keep at it though, as open whips can be done on any nearly any offstring yo-yo if you hit the sweet spot.

1 Like

Thanks. BTW, I’m throwing a Hayabusa. I have heard that I should “pull my punch” when doing an open whip catch. Like, right when the string hits the yoyo pull back a little bit. Also, where should I pop it to like should it be higher and less distance, or lower and more distance?

Where you pop should not matter as much, just be sure to not be going for extremes, as you need a pop of some sort, but very high pops might cause the yo-yo to just sail down through the catch and hit the floor.

The pulling back is a good technique. Play with that a bit to find the right motion, it helps a lot. But be careful to not pull back too fast, you could pull the string right out of the gap. The big thing is to be sure the string is going over the yo-yo so it binds back.

The Hayabusa should be great. I remember buying one so I could do open whips, and I thought it worked well; I found the Big-Yo gap a little too wide (this is why I asked about the yo-yo, open whips are possible on a Big-Yo, but they need to be exaggerated and are still tricky to do).

1 Like