Help with slackicide/suicide

Any tips on getting the string to really open up? I can’t seem to get it to get it to open up wide enough, so it’s very tough to get my finger into such a small space to catch it. I can land it every once in a while, but it’s really tough with the string staying together too much.

I do make sure to check the tension before attempting it, and have tried with few different strings. But I think it’s my technique and not the string or tension.

3 Likes

Flat bearing if you are not already using one will help open up the loop by allowing the string to engage the response pad.

1 Like

Pull away from the loop. After it goes past your hand pull a little bit down and to your non throw hand and that opens the loop good if you pull too hard you’ll undo the loop

Edit if this doesn’t work and you can’t get it I’ll make a vid bc it isn’t that hard but there is definitely a technique to it to getting it to open up good and you prolly just haven’t gotten the feel for that technique yet

Edit again I made a vid but my lighting is bad until the sun is up more and I don’t think it will help. one thing about this trick I realized tho is that proportions on the string kind of matter like if the loop is too big it doesn’t open as well you can get a more open loop to catch with a smaller loop to start and it’s kind of an experiment to figure out the best size. Also these do require a lot of focus like even if the loop is open perfect you still gotta be quick and accurate but you should keep at it and you’ll get it I’m sure

2 Likes

If you move your throwhand around in a circle it may open the loop up a bit more. Make a bigger motion with your throwhand.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies! I haven’t had a chance to pick up a yoyo yet today, busy work day. I’m going to read through this again this evening and practice again.

@GTDropKnot - When you mentioned string proportions, did you mean based on where my hands are in relation to each other? Meaning if my non-throw hand is higher than my throw hand when I toss it, there would be more string available for the loop? Hope I got that right in my brain, hard to think about it without it in my hands.

I’m not sure if I am keeping my hands relatively even or if one is usually higher. Any tips for that part?

1 Like

Okay so the proportions is a minor thing really but if the string is split evenly like yoyo in the middle and a narrow trapeze, when you go throw it around, you have to be more careful to stay in plane or its easier for the loop to twist or move bad. Don’t over think this part really just know that if the loop is acting naughty and you don’t have any string tension, try it with a smaller loop or a wider trapeze before you throw it. the hand height before you go to throw it doesn’t really matter just use what ever position gives you the most control and you are the most comfortable with.

The main thing you should focus on first to get the loop to open is how you move your throw hand and it should be a circle. almost like a wax on wax off kind of circle that mirrors the yoyos motion you want to very gently be pulling the string attached to your finger away from the yoyo. it should go from like 10-11 then counter clockwise in a circle. I didn’t even realize I was doing it like that until @piano_man19 said that ( thank you! ) but that’s the motion I’ve been doing. Also focus on how smooth and calm you’re throwing the yoyo around. you want to try to maximize hang time and can let the yoyo go up pretty high in a nice calm circle so you have the most time to spot the loop.

This trick was invented on a responsive yoyo and you can do it on a responsive yoyo but it is much much harder. To get this to work on a responsive you need to keep the string taught the entire time or it will snag. That’s how it got it’s name because it’s like super hard and risky I think or I’m guessing but it makes sense. The point is visualizing the string staying tight by gently moving away from it can help get the motion down.

3 Likes

I had a crazy busy day yesterday so I didn’t get to pick up a yoyo for more than a few minutes before bed. Only had a little time today too but I re-read your description and when I gave it a shot it totally made sense. I definitely managed to get it to open up more some of the time, and landed it a few times. I think I would have actually landed it a few more times if I hadn’t been so focused on my throw hand movement without paying enough attention to my other hand. That shouldn’t be a problem once I do it enough to get the throw hand movement burned into muscle memory.

I play most at night when I’m done with everything else for the day, so I’ll be practicing some more shortly.

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully I can get this down more consistently soon.

2 Likes