OD 10 ball?

i just got a OD 54 with a 10 ball bearing and its a great throw but… i thought these 10 ball bearings were made to be quiet mine is louder than the bearing in my g5. it dont seem to sleep real long either. im not really dissapointed im just curious if anyone else feels the same.

You’re either breaking it in, like every bearing does, or you have some gunk or dirt inside the bearing.

what is sugested to clean and lube 10 ball?

Mineral Spirits or Lighter Fluid to clean.

if you must lube it, use sewing machine oil, trumpet valve oil, yyj thin lube, 1drop has their own lube now too. Personally I would just clean it in Lighter Fluid and then hit the inner and outer races with paper and leave it dry. But I suppose you want it quiet, so I suppose lube IS necessary. :stuck_out_tongue: Make sure you don’t put too much lube in it unless you want to have to break in the lube for like a week. :stuck_out_tongue:

trumpet valve oil dosent work that well

It’s the same thing as thin lube.

What about rubbing alcohol for cleaning it?

Rubbing alcohol contains quite a bit of water (up to 30%). That water will lead to rust and corrosion in the bearing. Your best bet would be to stick with mineral spirits.

aren’t OD 10 balls stainless steel therefore rust proof ?

my 10 balls is also fairly noisy, it annoys me that much that I’m actually considering swapping it for something else

Stainless does not mean rust proof. They can still rust and they will still corrode.

The only bearings i ever use have been 10 balls. and recently i came up with a cleaner that made my bearings SILENT. it took little to no break in. it was crazy. i got mineral spirits, and added some V4m (the 1d lube) into the bottle, shook a bearing up with some. let it sit for a night. took the bearing out and let it air dry. the bearing was responsive at first, but after about 4 or 5 throws it went away. it’s now crazy quiet

My 10 ball is kinda loud too, but idk why. It doesn’t bother me, as I have much louder bearings that I use. As for the rubbing alcohol, I have done it only once. The key for me was to get compressed air and blow dry it until there was none left, then I just continued for a little more… No rust yet.

FYI, One Drop V4M is soluble in hydrocarbon solvents, of which mineral spirits is. The mineral spirits break down the compounds that make up V4M, thereby reducing/eliminating the intended lubrication properties. The fact that your bearing is initially quiet is expected, but long term it will not be.

However, on a very serious safety note: It is never advisable to play amateur chemist with hydrocarbon solvents and other chemical compounds if you are not aware of the chemical properties of the individual constituents or of the potential reactions that may take place upon mixing. Safety first. There is no room for stupidity when playing with chemicals.

db

The only room for stupidity is six feet under :stuck_out_tongue:

I have 2 10 balls, for 2 years. They start dead silent, within a month of playing, you start hearing a tcchhhh sound. I’ve always ignored my bearing sounds, I actually kind of like the sound, helps me play, but if not, or if some people are getting annoyed, I find that a tiny, 1 mm diameter drop of yyj lube will make the bearing silent again. Eventually it’ll get loud, but then you can always just keep lubing.