Nylon vs Poly string for competitive play

That’s a weird sort of Full Metal Jacket references

I don’t think you’ll be seeing a top competitor use Nylon boutique string anytime soon.

It’s mostly offputting to use without applying some sort of ridiculous wax to the finger loop so it won’t fly off your hand at an important time, it’s inconsistent and extreme with nuanced slack tricks that require precise amounts of pulling and tension and makes controlling them too hard, it’s way too soft for good grip on complicated pinch tricks, too slick to ever use with gloves, and bad at too much of advanced play to see real usage.

It really excels at casual play by just being way way way more pleasant to use but I really don’t think it performs well otherwise.

11 Likes

This is why I love Nylon!! Sure I’ll throw on a blend or some pure poly sometimes if I’m trying to learn a new trick, but if you’re just zoning out on your favorite combos then Nylon is amazing.

Heck I don’t even think nylon is more pleasant to use. A good quality poly is like a nice pair of comfy broken in jeans.

2 Likes

Eh, poly is still okay for me. Its not a big deal, I just REALLY love how airetics feel and how they whip. Obviously different to poly, but it just takes some getting used to.

2 Likes

I think some people like the fact that nylon doesn’t change as much over its lifespan. I mean I also like poly but you have to admit that a poly string that is one hour old is all together a different string than one that is two weeks old.

3 Likes

Oh yeah Nylon durability is massively superior.

Yeah I mentioned that a little in my reply. Fresh generic poly is incredible but it loses that feeling very quickly. I can see people disliking it for having to replace it so often, but the first half hour or so of play it’s the best.

And like I said before Mr.SF confirmed my thoughts the slickness of nylon (and imo boutique poly as well) doesn’t seem to lend itself to competitive play for various reasons.

1 Like

This. Sometimes I go up to a month on just one airetic, where id have to use a new poly every day or every other day.

Yeah durability is part of it but I meant just from a consistency standpoint. It just keeps the same characteristics linger.

Has anyone ever noticed any difference with respect to whether they wear out response pads more?

If nylon has left give them it is possible that it wears them out faster