Not yoyoing, what to do?

So today I may or may not have directly impacted my eye with a yoyo… After hours of going from a nurse’s office to the optometrist 's I found out that I should recover fine in a couple weeks. Until then I’m not yoyoing… What yoyo related things could I do without actually using a yoyo? Maybe some diy yoyo projects or something. Thanks in advanced for the ideas! I just haven’t seen anything that looks interesting to me yet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry to hear that man. A few suggestions i got for you DIY yoyo wise is what I did. Design and 3d print a yoyo. Other activities I recommend trying are kendama, pen flipping, and balisong. (Might wanna stay away from pen flipping and/or balisong if you are worried your eye)

PM Me if you have a B!ST Tondo F/T

Watch yoyo videos. That’s what I do when I am not yoyoing. ;D

play basketball man ball is life XD

I was told “no physical activity” by the optometrist otherwise that may have been an option (Don’t ask me to explain)…

Dang, I was gonna say kendama too, but that’s pretty physical… At least by my standards XD

Soooo, that settles it… You must cube. The cube calls to you. The cube isn’t physical; the cube is magical. The cubies need alignment and you can help them.

You could make a yoyo case or maybe learn to twist your own string.

So why don’t you yoyo? I don’t see that as much physical activity. You don’t use your eye to throw.

1 Like

You can frequent the forums and discuss the trends in today’s yoyo scene. I do it when I’m not yoyoing sometimes. It’s pretty easy. Looks like you’re of to a good start too.

Personally, I find origami very rewarding because each time you do it you end up creating something tangible to show your results, so the return is almost immediate without needing much (if any) practice.
Even if you’re just starting, if you follow the instructions well you can end up with something very impressive.

Plus people love it, especially kids… and ESPECIALLY waitresses.

This is very off-topic, but: Oh my god one of my most favourite member of the yoyo community has the same additional hobby as I have!!! This definitely qualifies as a reason for a first post.

Wahey! Welcome to the forums good sir! ;D

2 quick origami related stories showing how fun it can be:

• One time I folded my Wagamama napkin/menu thing into a basic eagle and gave it to the waitress just for bants. She was so happy she ran off and showed it to all the other staff members and even all the chefs, who then asked to meet me and ended up all shaking my hand and saying how impressed they were.

• Another time I ended up getting into a speed-origami contest with a random woman on the London Underground. Everyone in the carriage got really into it and was cheering and clapping and stuff… it was so random. I ended up finishing my newspaper-crane just as we pulled into our stop, then departed the train with my mates to a wave of cheers and back-pats. ;D

It’s surprising how something so simple and so cheap/easy can brighten someones day. I think everyone should learn the basics; it costs nothing, it really doesn’t take much time and you’d be surprised the effect it can have on people.

Sorry to take things offtopic… but it was KINDA on topic-ish. :wink:

Well it’s more that I don’t want to take any chances of hurting it again until it has time to properly heal.

How bout a rousing game of Lawn Jarts ;D

Get 123d CAD software, it’s free, fun, and easy to figure out. Then, just start making yoyos for the heck of it.

I love the origami idea. Whatever you do, take your time and follow the Dr’s orders. Your eyes are too important to mess around with.

I’m a guitar player and 5 years ago I broke, actually shattered, my left elbow. I have an internal prosthetic, a metal plate, and 9 screws in my arm now. I wanted to go back to playing guitar so badly but if I tried to twist my wrist to a playing position before it healed I could have re-broken it all over again.

Sometimes you just have to be good to yourself and let yourself heal. I hope you feel better soon and heal up well.

Commas are important for context :smiley:

Gambit - Origami is pretty cool stuff. It’s how I get through most meetings.

To the OP:
https://wiki.vpa.mtu.edu/wiki/images/5/52/Saftey_Glasses.jpg

Problem solved, and they’re not just for fashion any more.
FYI - Most nice (read expensive) sun glasses have lenses rated the same as safety glasses. At least I know Costas do.

1 Like

Lol, perfect because that is exactly what I’m wearing, Costas.
Also one of my friends brought me a pair of safety goggles to school as a present ;D

WARNING: Nested quote expiriment.

Oh my… Yes, yes they are.

EDIT: ZOMG IT WORKED

begleri is a fun thing to do and you can do it while sitting. I accidentally spent 45 minutes on the toilet just messing with mine the other day…

monkeyfingerd has also been putting out some great tutorials on how to get into begleri and there are videos on how to make your own.