No Jive Differences

So I’m excited to see a brand that everyone talks about on YYE!

I have a question about the No Jive. Why are there two options for this yoyo? (Butterfly and Classic) I was under the impression that you could switch the halves to make it either one, but I guess I was mistaken.

What are the benefits of each type?

Thank you for looking!

It matters for the side of the yoyo halves that have the carved design. So the classic has the design on the rounded part, so it shows up when in a classic configuration. The butterfly has the design on the flat sides, so it shows when in a butterfly configuration. If you flip them around, you don’t have the design on the outside, so it’s good to pick the configuration you’ll likely use the most.

1 Like

Yep. That.

Worth noting that some players have purposely flipped No Jives so that the engraving was on the inside for it’s response characteristics. Although that was partly out of necessity, as for awhile it was pretty tough to find No Jives that were engraved in butterfly configuration. I find they play a lot better when blank on the inside, so that’s what I tend to play. It matters way more if you use a lot of long sleepers as opposed to stall tricks though. So mainly it comes down to whether you see yourself using it more in one configuration or the other.

1 Like

That makes sense now.

Should have guessed it from the pictures. This will be my first Tom Kuhn even though I’ve wanted one since I was young. I remember a catalog that had the SB1, the description said it would spin for over a minute! Who would have thought that it was a big deal by today’s standards.

Thanks again!

The No-Jive is the ultimate fixed axle wooden yo-yo. You can tune it for the responsiveness you like, the axle is easily replaced when worn out, you can set it up for butterfly or looping play, it really is one yo-yo that can do it all… so why do i have so many?? The reason there are so many options is to create a
group of collectors that can’t control their yo-yo addiction (guilty).

3 Likes

^ this. I’ve got a clean machine no jive (no engravings), and since I got it, all I want to do is buy more no jives. I actually requested 6 of these for Christmas from my girlfriend. Which was technically a joke, but if I opened a box with 6 no jives for Xmas, I wouldn’t be mad at all.

1 Like

I really wish I could get my hands on a clean machine. The engraved ones are nice and the artwork is great… Just not quite my style.

I lucked out and picked up one that was not listed on the BST. Just kinda started asking around for wooden fixies, and found someone willing to part with theirs.

And if she gets you 6 more Clean Machines send me a PM and I’ll take one off your hands ;D

If she is able to find me 6 clean machines, not only will I likely have a heart attack, but I will certainly do just that. I owe you a favor anyway, so Santa might just drop something off late to you in that case.

I have actually been looking at a lot of the different engraved ones that are available in various places on the internet. There are some pretty neat patterns out there.

Yeah I have both no jives with the optic star engravings. They can’t really be flipped with the engravings on the inside (buzzing, string wear, bad regens). Looks kinda cool though, but just pick the shape you like.

I remember being awestruck by this when I saw them in the Klutz catalog, since the Klutz yoyo book, with the wood yoyo, was my first trick book. The idea of an aluminum, machined yoyo was wild in and of itself, but ball bearings and the listed spin times was just mind-boggling.

1 Like

How can you set the response?

Lots of things make a difference to the response. Starting with the simple stuff, have a few different strings types (thin, thick, slick 6) and for certain tricks, you would want to adjust the string tension tighter than you do on a bearing yo-yo.
If you still need more response, you can very carefully sand down the ends of the wooden axle until it is as responsive as you like. If it is already too responsive, you can make paper shims to make the axle wider. It’s a bit of a hassle, but a little bit of spacing makes a big difference.
Another thing I have had luck with for making a butterfly more responsive is to apply a Turbo Disc to one side. I like the way the Turbo Discs break in, and to me it gives it a more predictable response feel.

4 Likes

Finally got around to flipping my No Jive when I got frustrated with the change in response from a new string brand and :exploding_head: IT’S SO GROOD

4 Likes