Next Generation Yo-Yo Contest!

Thanks guys!

Here’s my entry:

For me, yo-yoing has been a passion that started 8 months before I got my first real yoyo (the Wide Sport) and it is a passion that continues to this day. Today, I stop people all around to watch me just fooling around with it in school. Many say, “Oh my gosh that’s so sick! How do you do that?” or “Hey, you mind if I try it?” and it’s the last comment that really inspires me to share my passion of yo-yoing to other people.
If someone asks to try it, I stop what I’m doing and hand him or her the yoyo, explaining to them how to properly hold and throw the yoyo. Although this is entertaining for the person learning, it still frustrates them that they are unable to simply pull the yoyo back to their hand (as the Wide Sport is very unresponsive). However, some people will have a knack for throwing and I’ll then be able to show them how to bind, most of the time successfully (give or take that their form may need a bit of work, but that’s what learning is all about isn’t it?).

If I were to have the Dark Magic, it would enable me to finally be able to properly teach people how to begin to yoyo. With an adjustable gap the Dark Magic would be responsive for the beginners, allowing many to simply pull the yoyo back to their hand, getting a feel for the new experience, as well as unresponsive for those that have progressed and wish to learn more. I’ve had one or two people actually ask me if I could teach them how to yoyo some time.
With the Dark Magic, I would be able to properly introduce these individuals into the world of yo-yoing. This could then progress to a point where, in the future, if I am able to interest enough people, we could in fact start our own yo-yoing club. The Dark Magic would become the “gold medal” of achievement for those within the club. When a player reached a certain level of skill, they would be awarded the Dark Magic to do the same thing that I will do, share their passion and help others to enter our world of yo-yoing.

I promise to pass this yo-yo on to another player so that they might teach others as I have taught him/her. I will ensure that the next selected person is just as committed to bringing the joy of yo-yoing to others as I am, and that they make this same promise to me before I pass it on.

1 Like

Great idea JM.

1 Like
Hi, I have been only been only been yo-yoing since the beginning of the summer( I only know up to spirit bomb on yoyo expert), but I have taken a break to prepare for my Drama play that’s going up on the 21st so after the 21st I’ll be back to yo-yoing. What I really love about yo-yoing is that it feels like the first thing that I can be really good at. I have done many sports; soccer, basketball, and Wrestling, and I have done many hobbies like Rubik’s cube and juggling. I never felt good at any of them but in yo-yoing, there is no top level and you can always get better and that’s what I like because I can always get better and not hit a wall and never get better unlike other things I have done. Also yo-yoing lets me express my feelings by either playing smooth or rough.

Also in the Spring my school has a talent show and I want to be in it and show everyone about the sport of yo-yoing and hopefully get a few people into yo-yoing or maybe start a yoyo club at my school. If I got the DM I would be able to let people play and learn with a competitive yoyo while showing them tricks on my yoyo and inspiring them to continue with the sport. I would be honored to pass it on to the person who is most dedicated and hopefully he would spend the rest of his life yo-yoing because I will know that I have changed a persons life and maybe several peoples lives.

"I promise to pass this yo-yo on to another player so that they might teach others as I have taught him/her.  I will ensure that the next selected person is just as committed to bringing the joy of yo-yoing to others as I am, and that they make this same promise to me before I pass it on."
1 Like

I am in for the contest, i am realatively new to yoyoing, but am starting a club at skool , thatnks to jeremy and suza, and have gotten a few freinds into it, but am still afraid to lend my friends my yoyo becuz i only have one, but this would allow me to let other people use a nice yoyo, not a duncan butterfly ;D

1 Like

“I promise to pass this yo-yo on to another player so that they might teach others as I have taught him/her. I will ensure that the next selected person is just as committed to bringing the joy of yo-yoing to others as I am, and that they make this same promise to me before I pass it on.”

i also promise that i will not take the yoyo just for me, but share it and let other people , use it…if they can throw a yoyo correctly…lolz, i have only been yoyoing for about a month max, but i would love to have something, so that the yoyo club will have an actual yoyo, becuz buying yoyos is a problem…for some reason, even though u can get a pretty nice on for like 15$, and that points people away of the fun of yoyoing, and gets them unintrested, like they say hey 15$ could buy me a month of wow, and i think it would be great to get my friends off the comp 24/7 and to get more ppl in my school into yoyoing,tht would be awsome!!! :slight_smile:

First of all, I’d like to thank JM for this. It’s really great to have someone who really wants to help others appreciate the spobby that is yo-yoing willing enough to give away his first ever yo-yo.

Second, here’s my entry:

I first started out yo-yoing a few months ago. At first, I thought that it would be a good way to spend my time away from the screen of the computer and T.V. I eventually got hooked and told myself that “I will become serious in this”. As I got more and more absorbed into the sport/hobby, it became more apparent that this isn’t just a way to spend time. It is a way to convey the message that “the simplest things in life are the most enjoyable”. It is a way to make friends, flex your creative juices, and feel the accomplishment of getting better at tricks and teaching them to others.

This year I started High School as a freshman. I’ve been yo-yoing all throughout summer, and a month or two before. So that means that a few of my friends already know that I could yo-yo. But that was way back when I was starting out on the Intermediates. Now I’m up to expert, and getting attention from not only my teachers and friends, but even from the juniors and seniors! So many people complemented me on that, so one day I brought in a few FH2’s to let others try out yo-yoing. I got many people to try it, and all of them enjoyed it. It’s gotten to a point where I would sometimes hold a mini-yo-yo lesson after having lunch.

Right now I have one friend who really enjoys it, and wants to learn tricks from me. At lunch, we would stand at an open space and I would teach him the tricks I learned and my methods at perfecting them. By seeing him play with a yo-yo, others have begun to try their hand at yo-yoing. So if I did ever get the honor of receiving a prize as valuable as this DM, then I vow to give it to my friend, or anyone I feel has the same zeal that he exhibits, so that he can improve and excel and set the example that even the masters started out small.

I promise to pass this yo-yo on to another player so that they might teach others as I have taught him/her. I will ensure that the next selected person is just as committed to bringing the joy of yo-yoing to others as I am, and that they make this same promise to me before I pass it on.

I know that I probably am not the best person to pick for this prize, but I thought that I might as well a shot. Once again, thanks JM!

1 Like

To me, yo-yoing isn’t just something I do now and then, I live for it. I fall asleep thinking of new combos and tricks. I yo-yo at stores, walking home from school, in school, almost everywhere. I have tried my best to contribute to the small community of today but I feel me must expand it and that is why I am posting here.

I strive for a friend that throws and loves it, that wants to keep on learning. My only friend right now that yo-yos is stuck with a Flying Squirrel and only throws out of boredem, I want to change this. With this Dark Magic I could share the awesomeness of JM with him, he may too become committed and continue the path of the Dark Magic.

I will not give it to somebody I don’t know very well and will put it at the back of their closet to collect dust. I will give it to someone I feel deserves it, that will play with it until they need it no more and pass it on to someone else that needs it.

"I promise to pass this yo-yo on to another player so that they might teach others as I have taught him/her. I will ensure that the next selected person is just as committed to bringing the joy of yo-yoing to others as I am, and that they make this same promise to me before I pass it on.

1 Like

Ok I’m entering so that I can actually have this yoyo for a yoyo club I’m starting at school, which I’m starting so I can maybe make yoyoing more popular like skating. Were everyone wants to do it and learn about it. It would be universally used by those who are serious about it. I understand this is your prized possession which is why I would keep my eyes all over it. It wouldn’t be for my use because I preferable don’t care to much for a Dark Magic but it too was my first yoyo and I had to sell it to get my 888.

I think I deserve this yo because I don’t have enough money to buy a new yoyo for the club and I think a Dark Magic would be great to have in the club. Also I would take care of it, as in cleaning the bearing re-siliconing when need be. I promise to pass this yo-yo on to another player so that they might teach others as I have taught him/her. I will ensure that the next selected person is just as committed to bringing the joy of yo-yoing to others as I am, and that they make this same promise to me before I pass it on." Make sure you read it, and really take this promise to heart. This is my first yo-yo guys and gals, it means the world to me. It’s important I find the right new home for it.

Thank you for checking out my entry.

My parents disapprove yo-yoing and i want to show them yo-yo is not just a toy so i’ll think of something

I think I derserve this yoyo because all I do all day is yoyo because when I like something I don’t just kind of like it I love it. I only have a few intrests or hobbies, But Most of them I can only do sometimes except for yoyoing. and although I am pretty good at 1a I would love to learn 3a. But I don’t have the money to buy a new yoyo and my parents won’t buy one for me. I know I would love 3a because I’ve tried it with my friend’s yoyo’s. but I don’t get to use them that often. So you won’t have to worry about me not liking 3a and it being a waste. Plus when I give it to somebody I have a friend who REALLY wants a dark magic and that would be a good step up from the freehand that he has. so that’s why I think I deserve it.

"I promise to pass this yo-yo on to another player so that they might teach others as I have taught him/her. I will ensure that the next selected person is just as committed to bringing the joy of yo-yoing to others as I am, and that they make this same promise to me before I pass it on.

1 Like

I think i deserve this yo-yo as i have a lot of people turning up to me to teach them tricks as in my town,you are considered a pro if you know split-the-atom.I do not have enough money to buy a really good yo-yo so getting the Dark Magic would be nice.I think i will eventually give my yo-yo to my 1st student to surpass me in yo-yoing.If i were to enter a competition and lose,i will give it to my rival and make sure he promises to use it for teaching.

1 Like

I think I deserve this yoyo because it will add diversity, considering my collection is mainly yoyofactory lol.

But really, great idea JM

That’s really great JM, Though I’m not entering. There is no one at my place to teach and pass on to. Unless you count teaching using the DM in vids count then otherwise, I can’t enter.

BUMP.

Five days left! So far I’ve accepted entries from:
raymondini
Infinite Chaos
clearmario
yoyomanlance
catorameus
Evan
buck choy
Wings

Thank you to everyone that has entered so far, and keep the entries coming! There is some very close competition, and all of the entries have been stellar! Don’t miss out on your chance to spread the hobby!

Ok I’m entering so that I can actually have this yoyo for a yoyo club I’m starting at school, which I’m starting so I can maybe make yoyoing more popular like skating. Were everyone wants to do it and learn about it. It would be universally used by those who are serious about it. I understand this is your prized possession which is why I would keep my eyes all over it. It wouldn’t be for my use because I preferable don’t care to much for a Dark Magic but it too was my first yoyo and I had to sell it to get my 888.

I think I deserve this yo because I don’t have enough money to buy a new yoyo for the club and I think a Dark Magic would be great to have in the club. Also I would take care of it, as in cleaning the bearing re-siliconing when need be. I promise to pass this yo-yo on to another player so that they might teach others as I have taught him/her. I will ensure that the next selected person is just as committed to bringing the joy of yo-yoing to others as I am, and that they make this same promise to me before I pass it on." Make sure you read it, and really take this promise to heart. This is my first yo-yo guys and gals, it means the world to me. It’s important I find the right new home for it.

Thank you for checking out my entry.

1 Like

Oh alright. I think I deserve this yoyo because there is this kid at my church that wants a yoyo. He comes from a very poor family. No father and his mom quit coming. He’s a little slow. (if you know what I mean) He is a great kid and always tries to give everyone a hand shake! He’s always got a smile on his face no matter his situation. His name is Clayton. The truth about his family is that he was abandon due to his special needs. His foster mom (isn’t married), after a few years of housing him decided to adopt him. She struggles financially and emotionally but he’s always there to comfort her. He is an Angel and the best thing that ever happened to her ever. I think he deserves this yoyo not me.

I don’t know if I followed the rules if there are any but that is my story and I’m sticking to it.

Also yes I have given him one of my yoyo’s and his eye’s got as big as pickle jars!!

1 Like
      A yoyo is more than a toy. It's a cherished instrument. Just like a guitar, flute, drum sticks, and even a piano. It represents the player. It creates the player. It IS the player.

I've learned that teaching yoyo is not a simple task. Unlike musical instuments, there is no store that is dedicated solely to the purpose of selling yoyos. One must go online in order to be able to purchase a yoyo capable of handling today's tricks. Unfortunately, shopping online is not convienent, and for most intrigued people, a turn off. Once you mention "You have to get a yoyo online," you've lost about nine out of ten people who wanted to partake in the hobby. 

Earning the Dark Magic would be a boon for my quest to spread awareness of the modern yoyo. One day, I hope that instead of a person watching me yoyo say, "I've never seen that before," he'll instead say, "Your throw's off." Every yoyo that I possess will aid me in striving for that goal.

That goal right now is only just a hair away from grasping. I am exhibiting the hobby to fellow classmates, strangers, and others more. I've already shown one high school what the yoyo is capable of and now that I've transferred to another school, twice as more high schoolers in my district will know of the modern yoyo

But what then? When everyone is aware, what will happen? That is where your yoyo comes into play, JM. As teachers lend their knowledge and parents lend their old, cherished instuments, I will be the teacher, and you will be the parent. I will teach as many prospective yoyoers as possible. If they show promise, I will hereby give the yoyo to them. 

If it's possible, I may start up a yoyo club, use your yoyo as the prime unresponsive yoyo, so others may benefit from it's excellent design, and when the time is right, I will hold a contest. Maybe a contest of performance, or maybe a contest of devotion to the hobby. And the winner, or the most devoted, shall earn the Dark Magic.

Club or sole student, this yoyo will be invaluable no matter what. When passed on, I shall convey to the new possessor of the story behind this yoyo. I shall have him/her swear that as you have done for and I have done for them, they will do for the next student.

For me, yo-yoing is an excellent form of a hobby. It's a way to express yourself. To just relax, feel the gyroscopic pull of the yo-yo as it tugs on the last bit of wound up string before spinning at RPMs cabaple only by cars powered by rocket thrust. Everything about the yo-yo is beautiful. The sinewy feel of the string, the dexterity and almost unnoticeable but signifant tweaks of the fingers, the twirling of the slack tricks, the whip catches that can only be followed by an eagles eye, the triangles that appear out of nowhere in a laceration, the mesmerizing looping, the multitasking of the counterweight manipulation and even 3A. All of this is an untapped beauty, unnoticed by the world. Many hobbies out there are to please the senses. Music pleases the sense of hearing. Food pleases the sense of taste and smell. Clothing pleases the sense of touch. And yo-yos, please the sense of sight. It's time for this world to know what it's truly like to yo-yo.

As the saying goes, "Pass it forward."
1 Like

Thats deep…