New video, new team members (pg 22)!! - Slithering Hippo

What a cool idea, making a really mini delrin sounds awesome. Hopefully it will have enough weight to get decent spin times.

1 Like

It’s a cube O: Just realized how clever the name was, haha :smiley: Can’t wait to see more! Looks awesome.

1 Like

That’s a snazzy string…

Wow, those look really nice.

I love that you made them in white.

1 Like

I like the look a lot. I’m in the market for a good non metal yoyo. My case is all metal

1 Like

Just got it fifteen minutes ago. Plays how I expected. Unique. Not a competition-level performer, more of a yoyo that makes me giggle on every throw. For its size, shape and weight, it performs solidly. We’ll see what it can really do in the able hands of Shawn Renfroe, with the video we’re bringing you soon. Thanks for checking in!

Are you wearing a tie over a Coors t-shirt?

2 Likes

I’m wearing a Coors t-shirt over an oxford button-up with a tie. I’m allowed a tie to go with my collar. :slight_smile: Thanks for noticing.

P.S. I’ll soon be rocking a Werrd shirt, as I was one of the lucky winners in your trivia contest. Thank you, Eddie Murphy. Finally, you do me a favor, for a change. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be sure, my question was one of awe and inspiration, not of condescension. Your t-shirt should be arriving soon :smiley:

1 Like

The mighty flea is about 49 grams.

But it’s the most dense thing I have ever hit myself in the kneecap with!

It’s t-shirt time, baby!

Get them here! (or don’t, if you mustn’t) —> http://www.redbubble.com/people/hiddenstash/works/9338949-slithering-hippo – They come in a variety of styles, colors and sizes so you don’t have to settle for a plain white tee. You could get a green hoodie or whatever else.

when can i get a slithering hippo and how much do they cost?

Soon. And about as much as the average high-end yoyo.

So were talking around $80 for a plastic Yoyo that is messed up I would pay half the price for a Yoyo like that

Why do you always post things in such a negative attitude? if you’re not interested in this cool throw, then stop wasting this guy’s time. And it’s not plastic, it’s delrin.

1 Like

Why would you ask what the cost is if you think it’s messed up?
You’re so negative about everything. Either enjoy yoyoing or don’t, but we don’t need to hear about why you don’t think things are worth anything. You’re blatantly insulting the creator of something on his own thread, while several of us on the forums have tried to answer all of the questions you’ve asked positively even thought you don’t seem to want the answers, you just want to knock everything down.

This yoyo is very unique, I don’t know if I’ll buy one right away, but I’d LOVE to throw it a little bit.
I love that it’s square, I love the undercuts, I don’t know how I’ll feel about the weight.
The thing is that yomorrow put a lot of work, his own money, and I believe a bit of his heart into making something that we’ve never seen before. He didn’t copy an idea, he didn’t even use commonly accepted numbers to build it. He started from scratch and made something really cool, and I for one hope he makes enough off this throw to keep doing just that.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement and appreciation for the work and the thought processes behind the yoyo! I appreciate you saying all that.

To anyone wondering about the price… this yoyo is CNC-cut delrin made to ultra-precise tolerances and using metal bearing seats sourced from One Drop (speaks for itself, right?). CNC machines cost well over $50,000 and they can only be operated by educated machinists. One of the best machinists who makes yoyos, Alvin Rollins, is doing the machining. The quality is outstanding and that means it costs a little bit to make. I’ve also been lucky enough to receive help and support from Landon Balk, who’s been designing and making yoyos for years. I don’t know much about what goes into actually taking raw material and making it into a yoyo, but those guys do, to say the least.

Put another way, this is a premium delrin yoyo for people who don’t mind spending a little money to buy something special. It’ll be priced about the same as the average high-end metal, because just as much care and expense goes into making it. If anything, it’s also a collector’s piece due to the limited supply. So if you think it’s only worth $40, get real. Go buy yourself an injection-molded, made-in-China plastic yoyo that everyone and their dog will also own. Then you can spend just $20 instead–I get it, expensive yoyos aren’t everybody’s thing. I own a $345 yoyo (the formidable Ti5 from 3YO3), and it’s MORE than worth every penny, so I can’t relate to people who cringe at the thought of spending money on a yoyo. Either you’re interested or you’re not, either you can afford it or you can’t. Either you understand the pricing of high-ends yoyos or you don’t. They’re certainly not cheap to make, and trust me, I won’t be jacking up prices just to see if I can get away with it, and I won’t be making enough profit that I can swim around in all the $100 bills or anything. This is a labor of love.

To anyone who’s expressed interest in this yoyo, thank you so much! I can’t wait to get this out into the hands of enthusiasts like you. I’m sending out a proto to Chris Rhoads at HighSpeedYoYo soon so he can review it, and then everyone will get to hear an unbiased opinion on how it plays and he can give his qualified opinion on whether it is indeed worth the asking price, which I intend to keep reasonable. Thank you!

2 Likes

I do really hope I can find a way to buy it, but I do have a request.

I want YOU to sign mine!