New to spin tops

Never thrown a spin top, I’ll be acquiring a couple soon, how would I go about wrapping this one?

5 Likes

wrapping a crownless top will look some like this

hold the string to the tops body and wrap around the tip covering up the string you held to the body of the top until fully wound

6 Likes

Thank you!

Is it thrown the same way as a top with a crown?

1 Like

yes the same way

1 Like

Spin tops are so cool. It sometimes feels like the black powder guys at a range but at YoYo club if that analogy makes sense to folks but I dig it.

6 Likes

I can’t wait til mine come, I’m very excited. I’ll need to get a string for the one pictured, any suggestions for string type? And where to get them?

1 Like

We had a treasure of a guy at club in DC who loves doing spintop this was his second largest spintop he was playing with.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5xLGqlsK-j/?igsh=dTVnbnZ4OXQ0aHhy

4 Likes

You will have to experiment with the length and the throw, you may need to use the bowling ball style throw.

4 Likes

Thank you! I will definitely be asking a lot of questions as soon as my tops come lol

1 Like

I recommend trying Skill Addicts for learning spin tops, earlier I couldn’t imagine I’d enjoy tops and learn such cool tricks. You can also earn virtual money there and get a spin top for free to add to your collection :muscle:

4 Likes

Very cool, thank you!

2 Likes

dazzlingdave.com he sells great strings

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind getting into spin tops. What’s a good spintop to start on?

Something cheap to try it out.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at the ones from Trompos space, lots of cool options and sweet looking tops. I also got one of these for $10 on the place with the auctions and stuff. Should be here tomorrow!

2 Likes

The YYF fixed tip is on sale here for 5 bucks, it’s very durable and a great deal.

5 Likes

Nice! I’ll have to grab one of those too lol

2 Likes

Tops can be frustrating to get started with because they require a little more mechanics than winding up a yo-yo and throwing it straight down. With tops, you have to wind it correctly, at the right tension, hold the button correctly, get the throw right and not change the angle of the top when you release it. It’s hard to learn without someone to show you first hand. Then there is the string issues, space issues (tops go everywhere) and maintenance, balancing if nec. Tons of stuff to frustrate someone right out of the gate.
But the good news is that there are now lots of great tutorials on YouTube, and plastic tops work fine and are inexpensive. I use 10 dollar or cheaper tops most of the time now, I have some spintastic aluminum tops that make regens easier to practice, but for bangers, the fixed tip plastic tops rock.

5 Likes

This is the one I have. I got clear but the solid colors look much nicer in retrospect.

3 Likes

I actually have some of Dave’s strings in the mail heading for me right now. Dave was very fast in getting them out as well.

3 Likes