New to spin tops

Definitely agree with @kevinm for starting out the Short Circuit is amazing. It works great and can withstand major punishment. That’s what you need. :grin::+1:

1 Like

Have fun and have patience, it took me about six months of frustration and persistence to get to the point where I can throw all my tops with ease. My favorite tops Strommol8 Augusta and the Sweetle. A little pricey but great to learn on. They spin a very long time. You will mess up the trick long before you run out of spin that’s why they are great to learn on.

3 Likes

Strummol8 spelled it wrong. You can purchase them at YoYo sam.

2 Likes

They are totally on sale here at YYE.

2 Likes

Better start with ball bearing top, easier to learn basics on. YYF elec trick or something like that is a good beginner friendly choice.

2 Likes

While some people find bearing tips to be friendlier, they do add a few other issues to the mix. Of course the answer would be to get both, as the fixed tip is only 5 bucks🙂

5 Likes

I feel like a bearing will surely help with tricks at first but I think the Short Circuit for learning the basic throw is great. So of course I agree with getting both. The Short Circuit and the Elek-trick both are pretty darn good. I bought the bearing upgrade kit and turned one of my SCs into a plastic bearing tip and one of my ETs into a metal bearing tip and another into metal fixed tip. All are great mods with great results.

4 Likes

Fixed tip tricks are way more fun and challenging, in general. There are some cool bearing tricks, but the fixed tips feel way more alive on the string than bearing tips.

6 Likes

The Spingear Komas that YYE sells are worth a look for anyone into spin tops who hasn’t tried one.

IMO they are a bit more beginner friendly. The throwing mechanic is simpler which makes it easy to build consistency and understand how to adjust. Boomerangs were much easier to learn, partly because of the throw but they are also smaller, lighter (the non metal ring versions anyway) and less intimidating to whip back towards you.

A potential downside is that if you want to branch out into other types of tops, you will still have to tackle their learning curves.

They are also a bit higher priced than a basic spin top, but they seem pretty durable.

4 Likes

I have been eyeballing these.

3 Likes

First day throwing the top! This thing is pretty fun! Can’t wait to learn more and get better! (Pardon the dirty floor, in the process of repairing sections and re-carpeting)

6 Likes

It looks like you got it spinning. That’s a big step.

3 Likes

Definitely a big step, it was interesting learning how to throw it properly :joy:

2 Likes

Hells yeah!

Thats one of the 2 biggest hurdles. Next is the Boomerang. After that the gateways are easier to pass through.

2 Likes

Haven’t tried that yet, I’m afraid to break stuff inside lol

2 Likes

Outside for sure.

And maybe a light weight or plastic top if possibe.

3 Likes

Yeah this one’s a solid chunk of maple, kinda heavy, I’m probably going to order a short circuit on here when I have spending money again or maybe the led one from yyf that I can’t remember the name of at the moment

3 Likes

Short circuit is solid, i think the other is called Elec-tric. Its a bearing top, still good- but i reach for mine wayless than the SC.

Get both,it wont break the bank, and you can experience two different trick sets & top shapes.

4 Likes

It is hard to get comfortable throwing inside unless you have a room that you can trompo proof. I tried for a long time to learn certain tricks and it just didn’t happen until I began practicing outside. It’s kind of inconvenient, but it allows you to experiment without worrying about taking a chunk out of furniture, walls, tv’s, etc.

2 Likes