Spin top enthusiasts?

anyone here like Spin tops?
how many tops do you have?
send pictures of your tops!
how long have you been…spinning?
post some tricks!

4 Likes

I played with spintops for a lot of years in the past. I could do probably almost everything you’d see on a contest routine. Recently sold some spintops and kept two giulias:)

3 Likes

I mean yeah, I like spin tops ok.

12 Likes

do you think the Duncan Imperial Spin top is good for being so cheap?

1 Like

Unfortunately, no. The yoyofactory short circuit is way better. Sorry for the short answer but I’m on the run at the moment

5 Likes

you hiding from the police bro? or you are like travelling or something?

3 Likes

Right here :slight_smile:
I just started out, need to master the boomerang trick.
My tops are all wood, and have no crown on top. So I need to wind them another way.
Still working on that technique!

Nice to see others around that love spin tops!

4 Likes

i don’t yet have one but i might get one! those look super cool :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks,
I Got them from my grandfather :slight_smile:
Good luck on your search and spin top journey!
You sure enjoy it!

4 Likes

thanks! in your opinion is the Duncan Imperial Spin top good or bad?

1 Like

I can’t tell you, sadly, I don’t have one !
But many people on here may give you an answer.

2 Likes

Ah ok thank you!

1 Like

You re welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Imperial spins very rough, because the tips do no seat right and the cap is loose. When you spin it on the ground it jumps around like crazy. You can fix this on older versions but with a loose cap it is impossible. You could glue the cap on but then you can’t get inside to balance it and it still jumps around too much to even hold in your hand. I wish this were not true, we would have more top spinners if the first experience is positive.

The YYF Short Circuit ($6 right ere on YYE) spins smooth right out of the package.

4 Likes

awesome thank you Neff! i’ll look into the Short Circuit

1 Like

got any miniature tops? (if that’s a thing)

1 Like

Yeah. I guess the Short circuit is one of the best spintops for less than 10$. Trompos Cometa is great, too. You don’t have that premium feel, but they are smooth enough and offer very good spintops for less than 10$. The problem is that I think they are not aviable in the USA. Another good brand is trompos space. However, personally I don’t like their budget line(Saturno family). And with no limited budget I’d go hands down with Strummol8. They offer the smoothest spintops I’ve tried, and they play like a dream:)My favourite would be the giulia but I haven’t tried all their throws.

2 Likes

thank you! i’ll definitely look into one under $10 :smiley:

1 Like

Spintops are great :slightly_smiling_face:

The Yoyofactory Elec-Trick is a great ball bearing spintop for $10 ($15 for light-up), and the Short Circuit is decent/ok for a fixed tip, but not near the quality of the Elec-Trick. The thing is the Elec-Trick plastic tips can break if you drop it on hard ground so you should be careful with it.

Spintastics has 2 great tops, and their Trompo Grande fixed metal tip top has a great tip for regenerating spin, but this one and the bearing tip are somewhere between $35-50 each. I’d recommend getting an Elec-Trick and Short Circuit for $16-21 to start!

Strummol8’s tops are also excellent, but more expensive at $90 and up (except the Love that is undersized and ~$50, but it doesn’t spin as long). Their one-piece full-size delrin bearing top, specifically the Giulia, plays smoother than my 2-piece STB2.5; however I think the STB2.5 might spin longer due to weight and/or design. I prefer the Giulia.

Below is a Giulia, and a top made by John Marcus whom works out of the University of Cincinnati, OH. He apparently only sells his tops in person at the annual Miamisburg Ohio Spin Top festival that I went to this year, occurring concurrently with US Spin Top Nats. It is 3" wide x 4" tall.

Some random top tips:

1. I like to triple-knot the end of my top string, which adds weight to the end of the string and makes it more manageable. Be careful as it can whip back with more weight, often whipping your eyes if you’re not careful lol

2. I try to use as thin/soft string as I can get away with, meaning being able to throw it without it slipping off the top

3. The Elec-Trick turns over 45 degrees more than my other tops, so I throw the Elec-Trick with the point facing ~ 2 o’clock, instead of 12 o’clock

4. I like to use long string too. Ideal for me is waist height to ground height x 2, representing the lowest possible point of comfortably holding a spin top on a trapeze (each hand holding one end of the string). This is a rough measurement but something like that is ideal for me

7 Likes

thanks for the advice!! and WOW those tops look AMAZING!!

2 Likes