New releases from Turning Point - The RADIX and MIID-Y!

Looks like a nice yoyo, but honestly after reading this thread it looks like I lucked out on missing it. Titanium at least has objective reasons for being high priced; Mg is just used as a material because it is unique and is possible. Seems like too high of a price point to pay for a material that you can basically do the same with plastic. Still, ngl, I want an Mg yoyo. But not so badly now.

2 Likes

You do understand that ethyl alcohol (tequila) and isopropyl alcohol (hand sanitizer) are chemically different. The former is a mild poison that impairs judgement, the latter a more potent poison that gets metabolized to acetone, among other things.

Could you drink hand sanitizer? No one recommends it. However, donā€™t confuse isopropyl alcohol with ethyl alcohol which is much more toxic, metabolizes to formaldehyde, and, will make you go blind since it targets the cells in your retina

1 Like

This thread got me feelin likeā€¦ā€¦

8 Likes

Yeeah but some metabolizes into acetaldehyde :wink: Anyways, itā€™s just an analogy for quality, but Im picking up what ur putting down.

I tend to agree with everything you express, and in fact, even I never said that you ā€¦ said that stuff :wink:.
In fact, my speech concerns the magnesium in the yoyos ā€¦ not the Radix i the yoyo mg of TP and I motivated why, making those considerations, I never had the desire to buy one (there are also other crucial and critical points that also manufacturers have often discouraged not to use this metal, such as the need to coat it with the relative risk of creating vibrations due to the firing of the coating if for example ceramic or the possibility of ruining the coating in the assembly of weight rings in case of bi-metal ā€¦ see for example how many Battle Demaged prorpio in Death Robot MG ā€¦ and it is fair to say that this too raises the price, rightly ā€¦ but they are ā€œdeliberate problemsā€ because you want to use a material that as I said it is not really the best choice) ā€¦ but clearly starting with ā€œmy 2 centā€ it is implied that this only applies to me and not only does it not make the law but I donā€™t even expect others to think like me.

P.S. I am not saying that Kentaro is not a serious person or that he is not a good guy but it is also true that for many years, when Made in Japan and 7075 aluminum were perceived as a plus, much more than today, and therefore they had prices relatively high compared to the rest of the products available ā€¦ TP, for many years never stated that aluminum used or where its yoyos were made (for example, at sight, the anodic coloring of many models of the time, Leviathan, Solenoid, etc. make us think of 6061) and his close acquaintance with Ben from YYF, who had already been producing in China for years ā€¦ you know, here in Italy there is a saying ā€œIf you think badly you commit a sin but, you almost always guessā€ .

5 Likes

You are a very intelligent and knowledgeable guy, Fabrizio.

Your views are Always enlightening. Your input is a valuable asset to the community.

Thanks

5 Likes

thank you, I appreciate it very much but, I simply think I am one of the many participants who with their passion and competence, make this community that fantastic place it is. :wink:

2 Likes

If I had made the same points as him, you would have torn me to shreds.

Just lol.

:sweat_smile:
letā€™s get together (not to build yoyo, in that you know a lot more than me! :heart_eyes:) but to write ā€¦ we protect each other.

Joking eh! :rofl:

3 Likes

Tungsten!

2 Likes

Well, Iā€™ve been throwing around this Radix.

To me, it is a most excellent yo-yo. It has that very unique magnesium feel.

It is not smallā€¦ It is not a speed demonā€¦ and it does not have bi-metal power.

That being said, it is just a superb design.

It has plenty of powerā€¦ it feels great in the handā€¦ it throws down effortlesslyā€¦ it has a soft float feel as it spinsā€¦it has a slick almost slippery finish to itā€¦ and it is as fun as anything I have ever thrown(more fun than most).

A few skeptics almost kept me from getting one. And even though I knew there was a reasonable chance they were right. I also knew there was a reasonable chance they were wrong.

So, I decided to take a chance and could not be happier.

ā€¦The finish does seem to be more delicate. I am certain it wouldnā€™t take a ā€˜good hitā€™ without jacking up the finish.

But, I will just be a little more cautious and pay attention to my string length, string condition and surroundings, lol.

Obviously canā€™t knock this around like a Titanium yo-yo.

Then again, nobody claimed it had any Superman finish properties.

The finish is easier to mark though(like a KYO Death Robot). Gotta take the good with the bad, just like most things in life.

I donā€™t know if this could be done, but if an AMS finish(like Luftverk uses) could be applied to magnesium, that would be a Superman situationšŸ™€

The Radix is an excellent effort by Kentaro Kimura which is no big surprise if you throw Turning point yo-yos.

8 Likes

adamantium, obtained by lathing one of the six claws of my childhood friend Wolverine! :grin:
Iā€™m sorry ā€¦ I won !!! :wink:

1 Like

very interesting!
clearly to obtain with magnesium a yoyo with a consistent weight and not squat proportions, the dimensions must be rather generous but this has never been a problem for me ā€¦ I love my Dreadnoughts or my H5 madly!
I am sure that the feeling of ā€œfloatingā€ due to the specific weight is interesting ā€¦ great that it suits you.
Do you by any chance know what type of coating it has been finished with? ceramic powder?

Itā€™s some cerakote thatā€™s been baked on. Here it is compared to my monthish old mgska that hasnā€™t been cleaned

I got mine, I have to say itā€™s decent, but not the best. It plays to me like a collapsar without the bimetal oomph and stability you get. The finish is nice in hand, but forces you to use slick full nylon or poly strings to keep it from impeding on the spin time. It not being bi also makes the thing a bit unstable at low rpm, unlike other throws where you can more or less keep it on plane to those final moments before it runs out of spin and dies. Not to say itā€™s unmanageable at low rpms, but it definitely takes more work to keep it where u want it.

In terms of actual play, its powerful. I love a meaty throw, and this gives you a nice momentum to keep throwing rejects up until that spin start runnin out. Slanging it around from sting to string is satisfying without feeling like a rock. It binds very clean and allows for great regens even if it doesnā€™t roll all the way up thanks to the heft. The catch is nice and wide, and the coating is forgiving enough for Talon and thumb grinds, albeit after some getting used to.

Tldr: good rejects and regens, modern catchzone and shape with the heft make for a surprisingly well-rounded throw, plays like a mono collapsar, finnicky at low speeds.

6 Likes

one thing must be said ā€¦ the beauty of having a yoyo that at the sight seems carved in plaster is a fantastic thing ā€¦ it probably also depends on the fact that not being able to obtain the white color with anodizing, we are not used to seeing one metallic yoyo with an absolute white finish.

4 Likes