New No-Jive yo-yo is making me mad.

… No. :pray:

6 Likes

I would have thought because of the fact that the string in in constantly different stages of tension, all of the sides of it are in contact with the axle at different times, making it more or less even all around.

3 Likes

All very good suggestions above. i would just add, try it again tonight,
(there’s a full moon).
Dialing in a NoJive is half the fun, just remember, when you finally get it
just right, it’ll feel different again it two days. I do love my NoJives though,
they are really the perfect yo-yo.

2 Likes

Perhaps this is what Ed is referring to, from the old spintastics site:

===================================

Dale Oliver’s Famous SWEET SIDE/SOUR SIDE tip
Every Yo-Yo player that has gotten into string tricks (Brain Twisters, Trapezes, Atom Smashers) knows what happens when you put the Yo-Yo on the string ‘backwards’. It has a tendency to ‘bite’ i.e., catch the string and try to wind up. Some Yo-Yos will tolerate this if you are careful, other Yo-Yos will immediately ‘bite’ and freeze up. What does “on the string backwards” mean? The string is wound around itself (about 7 to 9 times per inch at neutral, depending on the type of string). That wind is directional (like a one way street). If you have a sensitive touch, you can feel that the string slides more easily through your fingers from top to bottom than from bottom to top. The Yo-Yo spinning at thousands of R.P.M. greatly multiplies that difference. When the Yo-Yo rides on the ‘Sweet Side’ of the string, i.e., with the direction of the string wind, it is smooth sailing. But when it is put on the string with the spin going against the grain of the string wind, you have a potential disaster. This function is actually used in the trick ‘Thread the Needle’ and ‘The Shotgun’. Many yoers who were trying to learn Brain Twister’ from written directions were continually frustrated by unwittingly putting the Yo-Yo on the string ‘backwards’. What most players don’t know is that the same scenario holds true for the single strand of string that goes around the axle. This ‘single’ string is actually 6, 7 or 8 individual threads twisted together to form the string. It is this unidirectional twist that causes the string to wind around itself those 7 to 9 times per inch. This unidirectional twist also creates the some type of ‘grain’ or ‘sweet side’ experienced with the doubled string. The Yo-Yo will actually spin easier and longer in one direction than the other. I have seen this phenomenon cause problems in every contest that I have ever witnessed. A contestant will ‘test throw’ their Yo-Yo until it sleeps and then try the trick only to have the Yo-Yo return to the hand without sleeping. They will take another test throw and the Yo-Yo sleeps easily. Back to try the trick again and once more the Yo-Yo doesn’t sleep. The trick is to throw a sleeper on the test throw, then take another test throw to put the Yo-Yo back on the ‘sweet side’ of the string for the attempt that counts. When you are on the ‘sweet side’, the Yo-Yo not only sleeps easier and longer, but string tricks run smoother also. I actually use a bi-colored Yo-Yo and set it up so that I know which color needs to be on the right for the ‘sweet side’. Remember, it’s the string not the Yo-Yo so if you use this bi-color method, when you change a string and test it, you may have to remove the string and put it back on the other way to match the color you want to use as a key. It’s best to always use the same color as the key so you don’t have to stop and remember each time which is the ‘sweet side’.

For transaxle players, the sweet side can have an effect too, but in reverse. One of the biggest problems in using a transaxle yo-yo is getting it up at times. The sweet side that makes a standard yo-yo work better will make a transaxle harder to get up…so…if you are in a transaxle competition, better to try the trick on the sour side (particularly on tricks like around the corner) so it will be more responsive on the return. Also in this vein, most transaxles can be adjusted to be more responsive by varying the number of wraps around the axle. The more wraps, the more responsive. You’ll also give up some smoothness at the same time but for some tricks, it can be worth it.

===================================
You can readily demonstrate this yourself with a fixed axle yoyo. Throw a good sleeper and note the spin time. Note that when the yoyo returns to your hand for the next throw it will have flipped sides in your hand. Now throw again and note the spin time. It will be different, due to the string “side” changing. Or throw a trapeze. It’s evident there as well. Note that you don’t have to time it, the difference will be noticeable w/o a clock.

12 Likes

Yeah that’s exactly it, I remember the sweet and sour text! Good eye.

From here:

https://www.scienceofspin.com/yo-yo-tips.html

4 Likes

Wow! I’ve read a lot from Dale, but never that. Mind is blown :exploding_head:

5 Likes

Oh wow I kind of “knew” this but didn’t really put much thought into it.

4 Likes

Yeah, I loved that article!

3 Likes