New Horizons

I was thinking it would be cool to see a 7075 (7068?) version of the Horizon, and/or a bimetal version!

better just redo and rename then. IMO

Horizon is already heavy and stable as it is, plus 7075 will ruin the grindability of the finish. Not sure about 7068 tho

Why? Certainly has been done with plenty of other throws, including many by YYF. Not talking about a total redesign, just tweeks for the new materials. Retain the cup, general shape and sizeā€¦

Itā€™s not that heavy. The Shutter is a tad heavier. The Shu-ta is less than a gram heavier than the Shutter, so I donā€™t see how thatā€™s a valid argument against it. I was unaware that 7075 ruined ā€œgrindabilityā€.

It was just a thought. I guess Iā€™ll just go sit in a corner and cry nowā€¦ ;D

7068 will be interesting and I would very much like to see a comparison between 6061 and 7068 versions of the same nodel. 7075 most definitely does not have as good a finish as 6061 would. I personally thought the Horizon was heavy enough, but thatā€™s cuz Iā€™m picky with my weights.

You canā€™t blast 7075? (real question lol)

Theyā€™ve done this with other models, I donā€™t see the problem tbh

Youā€™re wrong on 7075 (Ergal), is more difficult to be anodized not blasting

Yea but the blasts arenā€™t as grindable as 6061 are they? I remember my Format: C sucked at grinds despite ODā€™s usual pyramatte finish. Iā€™m pretty sure I heard the same elsewhere.

Itā€™s because Pyramatte is not a blast, itā€™s just tumbled.

Wait, like a rock tumbler?

Alright, my bad

How much Wrong imformation are you going to pour into this thread before youā€™re happy?

I have read to the bottom of this thread and have yet to read anything from you that is validšŸ˜³

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Yep

If thatā€™s true, that is the most awesome thing Iā€™ve seen all day. Then again Iā€™ve been studying for human A&P tests all day so it doesnā€™t take muchā€¦ ;D

Sorry about that! I made a mistake, I wasnā€™t aware of how wrong I was

I smell an argument on the HORIZON ;D ahhhh terrible jokes :slight_smile:

Not a massive fan of the horizon so not much to comment thereā€¦

I was under the same impression that 7075 would have a reduced grindability.
It is a denser alloy making the blast used for a 6061 alloy not as effective on it.
To make it grind as well as 6061 one would require a coarser medium.
Or so i thought
Can anybody refute this logic?
P.S.-yoyodoc why dont you chill a bit?people make mistakesā€¦no need to go all optimus prime on them

This HS review of the Top Deck, does discuss this issue, and favors 6061 for grinds. http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/reviews/n-z/one-drop-yoyos/one-drop-top-deck However, the reviewer never says heā€™s wishes it had just been made out of 6061. He says it still is decent at grinds, and he loves the other characteristics, afforded in part by the use of 7075.

As is so often (always?) the case, there is a tradeoff. Or, perhaps this is just a problem to solve in general?

The Horizon is a unique yoyo, with unique characteristics. I just thought it would be interesting to see how alternative materials might push that envelope even further. Perhaps, itā€™s already been prototyped and dismissed by YYFā€¦

The horizon doesnā€™t really need to be made out of some sort of new metal. Itā€™s already damn heavy in play and doesnā€™t need to be any heavier.

Iā€™d rather see YYF work on something new than just rehash the horizon

1 Like