New Guy

would you say you like the non responsiveness better? I’m SO confused onlything good about YYJ is their pretty much all the same just different colors or that’s the way they seem…

Is the yyj spinfaktor SFX responsive ? said it was released in 2003

The orginal SpinFactor was released in 2003 this is just a revamped version of it. However, I do believe that the SFX comes with a slim bearing making it reonsive out ofnthe box.

Out of the box it is responsive. Honestly I think it is a seriously overlooked starter yoyo. The DMII has been a long time canned answer to “I’m new what should I get” but I personally love the SFX. Not saying the DMII is bad or anything but the SFX does not get enough attention

where’s the “used” thrift shop yoyos haha…

You can find some good deals on the BST board if you aren’t too picky.

A couple of things I noticed while reading through this thread. Basically, if you want to do longer string tricks, combos, etc, an unresponsive yoyo is the way to go. If your prefer looping tricks, tricks that require responsiveness, like Stop and Go, or just don’t need the yoyo to spin for a solid minute while running through combos, responsive can work just fine.

Binding is fairly easy to learn, but does require some practice. Any of the convertible options discussed will work, as while as the YYF Velocity, which allows for adjustment from responsive to unresponsive by turning a dial. Not the most stable yoyo, but great for that transition and I was comfortable learning all of the intermediate and a good number of the advanced tricks on the site with it. If you get something with two bearing options, you can certainly learn how to bind on a slim bearing in regard to the movements, which will lesson the difficulty in trying to learn on a fully unresponsive yoyo from scratch.

One advance in yoyo tech that makes a huge difference is the use of silicone pads for response. Responsive or unresponsive, it’s amazing how much more reliable it is in comparison to most of the starburst type responses. I say this as someone who spent much time using a Fireball…

Oh, if you check out the Recommendation/Help sub-forum in Reviews, you’ll find numerous posts on suggestions for yoyos under 50 dollars, though most of those are unresponsive.

Don’t buy a velocity. It is the worst yoyo I have ever used that costs more than a dollar. Yoyo Factory should be ashamed to sell their vibey, fragile, unstable, short sleeping wad of plastic that kind of looks like a yoyo to unsuspecting beginners.

I exaggerate. It’s not that bad, but I don’t like it at all. I would recommend buying a YYJ classic, a C bearing, and some silicone pads or a tube of silicone. The stock classic will be responsive, and when you feel ready to upgrade you can put the pads and c bearing in. The Surge is also good, but doesn’t come responsive.

Go for the YYJ classic it is by far the best beginner Yoyo there is to start learning on plus when your ready to go unresponsive or if you do you can switch out the bearing and pop out the silicone rings and add flowable silicone to go unresponsive.

It’s taking some getting use to. But they’re great for string tricks, which prior to the unresponsive yoyos I could get off 1 trick then have to throw again, and that 1 trick was just so so. Always had to really watch the yoyo, b/c if you’d catch the string just right it would want to return. Not with these new yoyos.

I’ve bought quite a few the past few weeks, but the one I’ve been practicing with a lot is a YoYoFactory 888x. The way it’s setup out of the box you can do a ton of tricks, but if you flick your hand up it’ll return. So I’ve been practicing binds and tricks with that. But I’ve got the items to make it unresponsive when I’m ready. Definitely check out the Buy/Sell/Trade area. I’ve made a number of sales, trades and purchases here. Great way to try out some different yoyos.

Dude if you got bearingized wheel mods from before the freehands, you probably got some major collector items. Used or not.
I am fairly sure if I was in your shoes I would make a bst, and trade them for some newer throws.
However it sounds like your not interested in that. In this case buy up a yoyo that can take a half spec bearing(nearly all yoyojams, a lot of yoyofactorys.) If the yoyo doesn’t come with a half spec then buy one. (half spec is brand name yoyofactory slim bearing.) later on you can swap it out for a full sized bearing and be on your way with unresponsive. Something like a dark magic is a very popular first throw and seems to be a good way to go. You won’t really find anything better just different. Good luck on your search, and welcome back into the community.

I like my Velocity…

lol I must admit, I’t good for a beginner, but yoyofactory claiming that it’s good for pros is just a lie.
Still like YYf, though :3

I say get a speedaholic or any magic yo. Also YoyOfficer

What about this, I seen it when I went to login
Looks like OLD SpinFaKtor to me… didn’t read much about it but $40 is in my budget…

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/1147/sOMEThING-Addiction

my newness has wore off… =

Hey Chavo!

I think there’s been a really good swell of information and I really can’t disagree with any of it.

the only thing I’d maybe add, is that with the exception of a few fixed-axles (which are still mighty-fine in their own right) I don’t think there’s a single yoyo you could buy on this website that wouldn’t serve you well.

The one that you listed has a lot of good things going for it.

I’m partial to the YYJ Surge, the CLYW Yeti, and the YYF Protostar as far as performing plastics go… but I also thoroughly enjoy the Flipside, Freehand Zero/Freehand, Velocity, Classic, Kickside, Lyn Fury, Journey, One, ProZ, and others…

generally speaking though, if it’s a Size-C bearing, and it has metal weight rings somewhere in there… you’re probably dealing with a winner.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

As a replace ment, I would go with a FHZ. One reason is, duncan is coming out with the new mod spacers that can use a C sized bearing and Silicone pads. They’re also making the weight rings soy you can tweak how heavy or light it is.

Another thing is you can change how responsive or un responsive it is. (Plus, a free counterweight) it’s just a variety yoyo. You get a quite a good bang for your buck. I’m no duncan fan boy, but I got one for Christmas and I quite like it.

what’s this “c” sized bearing

The sizing of bearings. There are a ton of great articles explaining the different types with smaller being faster spinning, etc etc.

C size is the most common now a days. Duncan’s use to use A grade, and years ago it was a pretty common size bearing. D size was popular a few years back, but has slowed down in production.