New from YoYoFactory - The TITANIUM GENESIS!

I remember reading somewhere that when he was asking team members what they’d want in a signature design, they all wanted the genesis :joy: you can kind of see it too in signature throws from around that time too.

1 Like

Genesis dominating the market…

It kinda started with Grind Machine 2. Released before 888 it didn’t capture the market, but it should have. 888 was smoother but that was largely irrelevant to a competitor. Yet competitors chose 888. In 2007 more than half the worlds finalists chose 888… even though there was a better option. Miggy knew it. Originally called Genesis 135 we hoped competitors in 1a 3a and 5a would all see why a bigger wider yo-yo was better for competition. 2008 Superstar also entered the market. Genesis and Superstar were the choices. Miggy was winning 5a titles from 08. 2010 Yuuki won nationals on genesis. You had Augie, Yuuki, sterling, miggy, Luis, paul Han, Kojo, Harold Owens a young Gentry Stein and a big swath of non sponsored players choosing Genesis.

YoYo design decided this was the way to go. Dimensionally modern yoyos followed this as the size to follow.

Still never got a major 3a title… yet.

11 Likes

Wasn’t the Genesis released summer 2009?

While you’re here, I’ve always been curious how the design process works at yyf. Like who’s involved with which aspects of the process.

2 Likes

Nothing more refreshing than factually accurate information from a guy that: knows it, helped design it, owns it, lives it and is willing to share it so the question? marks just fade away.

I remember being at Nationals, the year Miggy was sporting the New Genesis. That one yoyo captivated the better part of the weekend.

Whether you were at the Park, at the Birdinhand Store, at the Holiday in or eating breakfast at Denny’s or the Country Kitchen. If people were talkin yoyos. People were talking Genesis.

I honestly miss my yearly trip to Chico. 10 hours of driving up to the event. Hard to not smile all the way up. Finally getting up to the Holiday Innand setting my suitcase down in the lobby full of Yoyo players.

Just an Amazing high energy experience for all. Can’t walk 10 steps without meeting a friend.

…Ben and Hans have personal mental data bases of Yoyo history from many moons ago.

Always glad they are so willing to enlighten many on various Curiosities and concerns.

7 Likes

Oh and being around at the time, Genesis was a big deal. I remember Andre still on team YYJ throwing the Genesis at local meets.

But the Genesis is just one of many ways yyf had a significant impact on the direction of yoyoing and yo-yo design.

2 Likes

Clearly the engraving in this case is just a fun decoration, and not a signifier of which era the Ti version is based upon.

1 Like