New Currier - couple questions?

As far as the lack of responsiveness goes, I uh, managed to fix my problem. I simply tightened the yoyo a bit more. It seems I was being a bit too gentle out of fear of breaking it and it had a ways to go past how tight it was out of the box. Kind of embarrassing lol.

2 Likes

The Currier is one of my all time favorites, I’ve got 3 right now. Those lines are from the chisel used while they’re turned on a lathe. They’re all done by hand to my knowledge. To me it’s just part of their charm.

I’ve never had an issue with the response on them, it’s probably just an issue with your string tension. It’s most likely adjusting during your trick.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I love the Currier so far. It feels great in my hand on the string. Super solid and fun even though I’ve only had it a day. It feels like the entire opposite end of the spectrum compared to the legend, which is so light I can barely feel it on the end of the string (which is really fun in it’s own way). I realize my post probably came off as negative, but that wasn’t my intent. I am just the kind of person who likes to tweak things a lot.I have a silver plated OD Code 2 that I love to polish as well.

You are probably right that my string tension has at least something to do with the response. Like I said I am very new to fixed axle and my technique could surely use some work.

2 Likes

I also have a Currier and it has the same marks. I’m not a particularly skilled fixie player (which doesn’t stop me from enjoying the heck out of it) but I haven’t noticed any lack of response compared to my other wood yoyos. I will try to post a picture tomorrow morning of mine.

I’ll only add that it takes time to break in new string to get proper response. I usually do it intensively for a minute or two until it feels good.

Here’s mine. My picture isn’t as good as yours, but you can see the same tool marks. I take it as just being part of the package with a hand made yoyo. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

1 Like

Thanks for the replies guys. I’m really growing to love my currier =D Now I’ve just got to resist the urge to splurge on the new spectra! Haha.

Those tool marks are from using a square end scraper to turn the faces flat. A lot of yoyos have that, my ART Woodboy has it as well as some TMBR yoyos. Not a problem, just a result of the tooling.

1 Like

Definitely not a problem. I see that OP edited their post, which was originally questioning the marks. I wanted to post showing that it’s normal. The finishing on the Currier is quite good in my opinion. I had a difficult time getting the marks to show in the picture at all!

1 Like