New 3D Printer Project

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! We definitely already got rid of the inner supports, the internal overhang angles are well within what the material can withstand. The weight was intentional for this throw, but in future designs we definitely will experiment with lighter designs.

1 Like

Yeah, it has taken a bit of research and experimentation to figure out what the limits of my printer are as far as printing without supports. Now that We know the range of angles we can print without supports, we can apply that to our design theorem.

2 Likes

Deven just sent me photos and a video of the version where we printed the threads instead of reying on a nyloc nut. Apparently the results are spectacular. We were able to maintain the profile, the dimensions, and the weight (62g) of the original design while making this a really stable, smooth playing organic throw.

5 Likes

My current design I am printing right now.

0001-0120

6 Likes

You’re on another level @Kray!

1 Like

Thanks. Looks also extra fancy with nice lighting.
Looking forward to the future when we can print seamless, fast, multi material an full color.

1 Like

That looks fantastic. I wanted to make a compact fixed axle yoyo after my tests with the organic yoyo we made, so I threw this together last night before I went to bed. I still have to smoothen the center peg before I press the halves together, but otherwise I’m pretty happy.

4 Likes

@bheinz63 and @DCorella

Do you have your STL files posted anywhere? I just ordered a spacer kit and would love to experiment!!

The other day I designed a fixed axle yoyo and matching counterweight for Responsive Freehand style play, and today I designed another yoyo to match. This one is unresponsive.

I started with the geometry of the profile and the cups from the fixed axle and used that as the basis for the design. I kept the diameters the same between them, but stretched this one out way wide. I optimized thte weight distribution for unresponsive play but kept the same styling on the rims and nipple for the axle. @DCorella and I started exploring 3d printing with the Luftverk spacer kit, and quickly ditched the lock nut when we found that the material was strong enough to have threads printed right in. This lead to more stability, but things were still wonky because of the spacers, so on this one I just designed the entire bearing seat into the yoyo.

Unresponsive Yoyo Specs:
Diameter: 56mm
Width: 45mm
Gap: 4.5mm
Weight: 63.4mm
Bearing: Size C
Response: 19mm Slim Pad

4 Likes

Have done a very similar design not long ago. But made the slime version unresponsive.

7 Likes

Back again with some new designs. @DCorella is making his way to Socal for vacation so I started up some new designs to play together while he’s here. Both of these are based around One Drop Cabal guts with matching organic geometry.

Big Boi, Unresponsive
Diameter: 58mm
Width: 48mm
Gap: 4.25mm
Weight: 69g
Bearing: Full C
Response: Flow Groove

Lil Boi, Responsive
Diameter: 56mm
Width: 32mm
Gap: 2.5mm
Weight: 52g
Bearing: Half C
Response: Flow Groove

11 Likes

I like the look of that lil boi.

2 Likes

i like both but i really like the responsive version

1 Like

yeah the responsive one does look like a lot of fun

I’ve got the Big Boi printing out right now, and my fixed axle finished printing earlier. Just waiting on UPS to deliver the hardware for it.

Name-Pending, Fixed Axle
Diameter: 57.15mm
Width: 32.4mm
Gap: 2.4mm
Axle: 9.515mm
Weight: 52.36g without hardware | 11.9g hardware | 64.26g total

Big Boi printing here:

9 Likes

Ohhh a fixed axel. I like me a good fixed yoyo…

1 Like

I know 0 fixed axle tricks, but man, this one feels great to throw even if I’m just sleeping it. The weight came in a bit under the estimate, but at 60g I feel pretty confident with this setup.

7 Likes

Decided to design a matching fixed axle and counterweight to complete this very round series.

Lillest Boi, Fixed Axle
Diameter: 55mm
Width: 28mm
Gap: 2.4mm
Weight: 51g
Axle: 8mm x 14mm Aluminum axle

Lil Ball Weight
Height: 28mm
Width: 26mm
Weight: 11.6g
String Attachment: String Groove

7 Likes

Well shoot that lilest boi is looking pretty pocket friendly.

1 Like

Yeah those specs are my favorite pocket size