Fluid Print Dynamics 3D printing Spacer Kits!

Fluid Print Dynamics was originally a small experimental project started by @jeffreypang911 of Luftverk back in 2014. Jeff was 3D printing some innovative yoyos and developed a brass spacer system that allowed for a higher quality bearing seat for 3D printed designs. Now, with the growing popularity and ease of 3D printing we decided to ask him to make some more!

This spacer kit has everything you need to assemble any of the ready-to-print 3D models found in the Fluid Print Dynamics Downloads page here or any custom yoyo you want to design around it. Perfect for educational purposes or hobbyists alike. This kit is also a great option for people who turn their own yoyos from scratch!

These custom made brass spacers are designed to fit common “C-sized” bearings and 19mm response pads (not included in the kit). The kit also includes a 20mm axle and two acorn hex nuts which are needed to assemble a single 3D printed yoyo model.
Yoyo not included.

14 Likes

@Glenacius_K maybe also something for you?
I already got them made here in Germany.

Thanks for the alert @Kray!

2 Likes

So the spacer goes on the inside and the nut goes on the outside. You think this nut is enough for wood @Glenacius_K / @Kray or would you need a washer on the outside between the nut and the wood? Seems like a small surface area with just the nut. Am I missing something? Would the spacer go in just like on the cabal guts as in the A-RT pouopon (pic for reference)

2 Likes

I do not use any metal guts anymore. First because my printed guts are very good now and even if they break I just make a new yoyo. Second because it easier to share my work with other people.
As far as ur example goes i would also use a system as in the picture with a socked instead of a nut.
If you use nuts I would take „helmet“ nuts. At least that is what they are called in German. They simply look way better IMO.
And I would put them into the shell like the OD project does so they do not loosen so easily.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, however it’s the thickness of wood between the bottom of the nut and the spacer that would be a durability concern for me over such a small surface area. @Glenacius_K will know I bet.

It’s problematic. Nuts don’t sit completely flush with the surface underneath so you would need a washer under it. Only problem is, washers aren’t made very accurately either unless you can source a small machined washer.

This is a kit that gets the job done but won’t produce super smooth yoyos, which 3D printing wouldn’t produce anyway.

1 Like

I figured. Thanks @Glenacius_K.

1 Like

Here are the seat dimensions, you can use a longer axle and make it much thicker.

I have used acorn nuts as well, both are fine but the nylock helps a lot to keep the axle in one side!

All yoyos I’ve printed with this kit are smoother than most injection molded plastics. Maybe my printer settings are just dialed but both my kayto and playto were as smooth as a metal yoyo (I can take a vid for proof, it shocked me too LOL). I found making sure it doesn’t lift during first layer print to be the most important.

11 Likes

This would probably do the trick for wood…Thanks!

I guess 3D printing has come a long way!

I first found out about these a couple of months ago when I found Jeffrey’s old website, and they were of course sold out long ago. I was thinking about posting on the BST here that I was looking for one of these kits when I saw that they were back in stock. What a nice surprise!

2 Likes

My mechanical-engineer son just got himself a 3-D printer (Ender 3). I am all-excited to try some designs out. Great idea; at just the right time for me,

2 Likes