Need help with Fixed Axle

I’m using thin 100% poly for fixies. I’ve heard the string could melt but for the past few years I’ve used poly for pretty much anything including 2a and I’ve never encountered one case where it melts. Maybe there are “different” polys out there, I don’t know.

If it gets unresponsive, previously I have used water but that may not last and not good for metal axle, wax… doesn’t really work, until I tried thin lube, it’s amazing, consistent response. I find that I had to lube the string every time/other time I change but no problem. And the string last pretty much like the usual bearing yoyo (dirty/frayed, no breaking).

The problem with using positive tension is, you can’t do kickflips.

Practice is key, but it doesn’t solve every problem, especially if the yoyo is just “absolutely” unresponsive. That happens sometimes especially in dry weather, you can’t simply practice that out. In 2a, an experienced player can get away with semi-unresponsive yoyos that a newer 2a player can’t loop with. However, there is a limit.

On the TMBR Irving I would spend time working on string tension and avoid any modifications to the axle. String tension is essential. The fixed axle tension is adjusted using the flying saucer/sleeping beauty across body loosens the string then away from the body on throw hand side tightens it back up. It takes a little while to break in a string for 1a. The sidewinder also works. I’ve noticed with some places like Mexico, Washington D.C. the humidity will cause the yo-yo to become more responsive. Good luck with the fixed axle and use 100% cotton. The snap start is fun. I had to watch Dale Myrberg for awhile to learn it.

The following is for the old school fixed axles - I would not use them on the TMBR Irving.

On the old fixed axles wax was used to smooth out the axle and increase sleep time. Then players would also use a thin strip of sand paper to roughen the axle back up occasionally. I haven’t ever needed to rough an axle back up. If the yo-yo hits the point of being to responsive I’ll switch to a new set. I only use the poly for 2a on the other fixed axles for 1a tricks it is always 100% cotton. I used poly on wood fixed axles for 2a at the 2015 Nats 2a, SRC, and BOCO State using old school techniques [i].

[/i]On poly and melting… Dazzling Dave melted one of my strings a few years back at Nats. In order to melt the string you really need to throw a bunch of around the worlds back to back. In 2a I only throw one or two atw and have never had a string melt during a show/contest.

The old fixed axles sold by Flores, Duncan, Cheerio, Royal, Russell always used 100% cotton.

1 Like