Need help for replacing a yoyo

Hello,
I damaged my neighbours yo-yo. It’s a barely legal yoyofficer nifty. I’m having a hard time sourcing a replacement in the UK, so I was wondering what else I might offer instead. Any suggestions for something that is similar in terms of quality and handling?

3 Likes

Maybe someone here has one that they’d sell you?

1 Like

Hi, Ben.

While I don’t know that specific yoyo, it does look to be 2014 vintage ($70 new). My guess would be that it’s going to be hard to source new.

As Spence just mentioned, you’re best bet on this forum is to find one with a BST thread. Buy sell trade. We could help you set up the post if you don’t know how.

Here is some info on that particular throw. Barely Legal x Yoyofficer - Nifty

That, or you ask your neighbor what they might prefer instead. There are so so many good options out there today. Depending on their level of knowledge of the current yoyo offerings, they might know exactly what they want.

How bad was the damage? Just scratched / dinged or is it unplayable?

2 Likes

Just scratched. It was in mint condition and now it has a couple of hefty rough gouges on the rims where I clanged it into the asphalt :confounded:

I’d like to post on the trading forum, but when I tried it seemed that I am not allowed to. I’ll have to dig through the FAQ for that.

Thanks for the info. I could ask him whether there is a different yo-yo he’d like but he’ll be too polite to say.

4 Likes

That’s because you’re new I’m not sure when that goes away but you can check this
https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/guidelines

That’s unfortunate.

Can you tell us a little more about the situation? How bummed were they when it happened? Doesn’t sound like they are demanding you replace it, is that correct? Are you just trying to make it up to them? Do they really want the same yoyo in mint condition (same color way)? Might they enjoy something different? Is this their only yoyo or one of many? Some of us in the community don’t really mind the bumps and bruises but some do. Especially if it was a collector piece or had some amount of sentimental value.

Not totally sure about the forum rules but I think someone could create the post for you. I’m willing to do that if you want. @vegabomb , is this ok?

If you’d like recommendations from the community these are the specs.

Diameter: 57.8 mm
Width: 43,5 mm
Weight: 64.2 g
Gap width: 4.3 mm

1 Like

Probably best to have @Mxplut create the BST post when he’s able. It just takes a little reading time to turn on that ability for him iirc.

2 Likes

If you were okay spending a bit more the yoyofactory kinetic boost comes close in spec

Given us bimetal instead of mono so will have some different characteristics

1 Like

I just got the notification that I can post (“went up a trust level”), so I’ll get on it. Thanks

2 Likes

Situation is that my neighbour is young enough not to make a fuss about his parents’ clumsy friend and I am old enough to know that when you screw up you’ve got to make it right. I’m sure it wasn’t his pride and joy, because he had several yoyo’s in his collection and this one he was OK about passing around, but I saw his shoulders slump when it happened.

I’ll post on BTC and if that doesn’t work I’ll ask him if there is something else he’d like, given the difficulty in getting a replacement. Maybe he’d be interested in a couple of coke spinners from my own collection :thinking:

thanks for all the advice

3 Likes