My Wife wants to learn too :)

My wife has expressed an interest in learning to yoyo. Now the question is what yoyo do I have her use… ;D

Whichever one she gets her hands on. :wink:

I believe you will now become the envy of the rest of the community! ;DI’m sure you have some good choices in mind, but I would suggest a plastic YoYo for her as a starter and being a woman, some of the metal onces could be painful and I’m sure even more painful with generally smaller, thinner hands. I hope that doesn’t come off as sexist as it sounds after re-reading it!

Goodluck and… CONGRATULATIONS!

ALL OF THEM! :slight_smile:

ANY one she wants. If she goes, “ooh that ones pretty!” get it for her. If she likes the color, get it. if she likes the shape get it. It doesnt matter what it is or how its not the best for what ever reason, so long as she likes it. If she likes it to start with than shell WANT to spend more time with it. Chicks like pretty things, usually more than we do.
However since she, at this point, has presumably zero basis of comparison, any yoyo is likely gonna be bad to the bone! I started with a shutter, but maybe she might like a smaller one like a dv888? theres something to a good budget metal to get that “pro” feel and start making progress. I feel accomplished hitting some tricks on say something like a YYF One, but think nothing of it hitting in on a higher end throw. Start her out solid, and nice.

“nothing will discourage an aspiring musician more than a beginners instrument”

ya dig?

Keep in mind that learning straight from unresponsive can be pretty discouraging, so maybe start her off with a beginner yoyo like the replay and have the “pretty” yoyo as the incentive.

if one has no one to learn from, yea, it can be discouraging. But if one has a spouse thats already involved in the hobby, than it will be easy as pie to teach a happy, calm, and hands on “how to bind”
Give me 3 minutes face to face with anyone and I can have them hitting their first binds. I do it all the time at the Hobby Shop I work at.

Also, a drop of thick lube will make any yoyo responsive enough to get it figured out.

OkI’ll be the first to envy you my wife has no interest in yoyoing but encourages me to do so maybe one day we married ones can be like you.

When I started I was banned from using dry bearings and from throwing in her vicinity. Grants I was terrible and many times there were snags and yoyos flying everywhere! I think I am going to teach her to throw stronger on a responsive and then move into some unresponsive fairly quickly after that. I tried to convince her she needed to learn on a new Ti but she wasn’t having it. Maybe once she is hooked…

These are her choices…

I’m thinking Renegade first until she gets her throw down. She throws with the yoyo facing the ground and string all the way back on her finger… :scream: I will let everyone know how the lessons go. :slight_smile:

I can tell you form personal experience that starting with a responsive yo-yo is going to save you, and her, a lot of frustration. Something smaller (not too undersized, but not a YYJ Classic) is always a good idea too.

The YYJ Destiny on sale for Cyber Monday is one I would consider. Only $28 with responsive/unresponsive bearings and you can keep the free counterweight for yourself!

I bought her a Markmont Classic from you guys yesterday. :slight_smile: If she doesn’t like it she can use one of my smaller OD’s like my Project or one of the Bape’s.