My unresponsive yoyo became responsive so is lighter fluid and charcoal fluid the same?

so my yoyo became responsive so i saw a video its saying we have to use lighter fluid to clean the bearing but at home i have charcoal fluid will it work (give me an answer without any risk) is charcoal fluid the same as lighter fluid?

1 Like

They are not the same

3 Likes

so is it still possible to clean the bearing with charcoal fluid?

1 Like

or is it risky

1 Like

I just checked both. They both zippo fluid and the old can of charcoal fluid in my garage are naptha. The small can of zippo has a more convenient and safer spout.

1 Like

Play it safe a try your local dollar general…. It looks like they have 10 oz 100% acetone nail polish remover for $3.

You get more for your buck with a larger can from Home Depot or Lowe’s. $10

I let my bearing soak for a good few hours in a glass container. Spin it out, soak some more if required.

2 Likes

thx guyz for the immediate replies!
MyHeroAcademiaIzukuGIF

3 Likes

+1 on this. The small bottle of Nail Polish Remover is also easier to handle/pour than the big containers they sell at Home Depot and you’ll probably never go through that small bottle anyway.

1 Like

I would just be safe and go out when you can and buy some new and proven-to-be-good on bearings solvent. 100% acetone is 3 bucks or so at the dollar store and I’ve never had any issues with it. Put your bearing in a jar or a glass etc and swirl it around for a few minutes. Yes it evaporates quickly and could leave residue so when you take it out of the jar (I use an old pair of tweezers for this, works awesome for holding the bearing to spin and dry off), make sure to wipe off the bearing gently with a soft rag or tissue or something. And it’s not necessarily needed but adding a tiny tiny drop of thin lube after cleaning will help maintain the life of your bearing by a lot. Because when you use a thinner/solvent you’re essentially stripping everything off the bearing and it’s spinning dry and creating a ton of heat and friction, if that makes sense. Hope this helped!

2 Likes

Acetone and naphtha are two very different solvents. Lighter fluid and charcoal lighter fluid are naphtha and fingernail polish remover is acetone. Acetone is a ketone and naphtha is a plain hydrocarbon.

Both are very flammable.

3 Likes

Different but both effective I’d say! Everyone is gonna have their opinions on what solvent to use so just a heads up on that @Mo_Arsh. Use what you think is best but I personally wouldn’t use charcoal fluid out of any of the choices

2 Likes

I am not advocating lighter fluid or charcoal lighter fluid. Just pointing out they are different from acetone. Some fingernail polish remover’s have a little oil in them to help keep the nails from drying out. The residue might even be good for bearings. ?

3 Likes

Eh I’m not sure about that, residue would most likely build up and corrode the bearing ya know? That’s why I’d go purely acetone and not an actual nail polish remover brand

2 Likes

I use lighter fluid as in Zippo or Ronsonol. Some charcoal lighter may be the same but others not.

1 Like

Sometimes you can get by using paper, like at the end of this vid.

1 Like

No! Mineral spirits also don’t seem to work very well, at least for me. I am, however, having great success with acetone 100/pure. Works much better and I’m getting better spin times.

3 Likes