Can we use zippo lighter fluid to clean the bearing? is zippo lighter fluid different from normal lighter fluid

Can we use zippo lighter fluid to clean the bearing? is zippo lighter fluid different from normal lighter fluid? can i use this one in the picture below

1 Like

Is this cheap ? I use acetone from the hardware store. That lighter fluid will work, since it has solvent properties. But acetone is a better solvent. Also I’m wondering if the lighter fluid might leave some film residue on the surface.

2 Likes

but in yt videos everybody uses lighter fluid and im cleaning the bearing cuz it became responsive

1 Like

Lighter fluid works just fine. I use it all the time.

1 Like

I always use exactly that brand. I prefer this over the sharp smelling acetone where I had to hold my breath every time. Also acetone eats some plastic and paint, in fact I have removed some print off of plastic yoyos with acetone, meanwhile lighter fluid mostly is not that aggressive and OK for most plastics but you need to test.
The result is similar for bearings.

3 Likes

zippo and ronsonol are the best in cleaning the bearings plus added some pin drop of thin lube for smoother spin.

2 Likes

Read this and the replies>

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/118720-flushing-bearings-acetone-vs-lighter-fluid/

2 Likes

I use this one all the time from years and it’s perfect it doesn’t even require to put the drop of lube after, is good by itself :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope. Lighter fluid is just naptha.

Someone mentioned denatured alcohol. Manufacturers “denature” ethanol (the drinking stuff) with isopropyl so it will make you sick if you drink it. Pure ethanol requires a tax stamp and is usually only available to labs. Remember, ethanol/isopropanol azeotropes and leaves water if the conditions are right. Better to just use pure acetone or naphtha, either should evaporate completely.

Retired certified marine chemist #613.

2 Likes

Yes, lighter fluid does the job w/o destroying most plastic. We keep a bottle around to clean off residue from sticky price labels as well. Very versatile cleaner.

2 Likes

Great thread. Kudos to the acetone guy.

Thanks Guyz For they immediate replies . im very happy that we have yoyoforums to clear all types of problems i love this site thx
MyHeroGIF

2 Likes