When to use compressed air when cleaning a bearing?

Is it after you take it out of the lighter fluid or after you apply lube? I forget.

I searched the forum but didn’t come up with anything.

Thanks.

2 Likes

You can actually do both. But most people blow the lighter fluid out.

4 Likes

For how long? Under five seconds per side?

1 Like

Do it until you get 6+ seconds of spin time from a finger flick of the bearing. Ideally 10-12 seconds but 6 seconds is the minimum in my experience. Anything under that and it’ll play a tiny bit responsive.

4 Likes

Thanks for the help guys.

2 Likes

I use it to blow out the solvent and the lube.

3 Likes

Just wanted to add; in my experience acetone works much better than lighter fluid for bearing maintenance.

Can be found at any auto store

7 Likes

I am running low on lighter fluid.

It seems to me that acetone leaves a bearing spinning a bit smoother than lighter fluid, so I’d say go for it!

1 Like

I’ll give it a try, thanks.

To piggyback off of @JohnnyJ you can find 100% acetone really cheap at Walmart.

2 Likes

I have a hardware store a few blocks away.

1 Like

I’ve tried acetone, mineral spirits, and lighter fluid numerous times over the year. Have always returned to lighter fluid. One drawback of acetone is that it dries too quickly and could leave a residue…

From the Dif-e-yo website: “Paint thinner or grease remover such as Gunk … Engine Degreaser can be used… and found in auto supply stores.
But keep in mind they can evaporate too fast and leave dry residue in the bearing that causes the bearing not to spin freely after cleaning.”

http://dif-e-yo.com/Tech%20Tips.htm

Note that mineral spirits is not considered a fast evaporator.

4 Likes

Very interesting! Maybe I’ll give lighter fluid another go.

I have been using unchloronated brake cleaner with good results. It certainly would fall under fast evaporating though. Its ususlly somr mix of acetone/isopropyl alcohol/ mineral spirits depending on the brand you get.

3 Likes

I do both as others have stated. I only use mineral spirits tho, super cheap. I bought a can of it over a year ago and I’m still set. Have never come across any problems. Blows out well and always leaves bearing clean.

Ive never had any problems with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Much nicer to work with than those other nasty smelling chemicals.

2 Likes

Does the Gorillius Lubricus that YYE carries come with the brush applicator?

1 Like

yes.

1 Like

Can be found anywhere that sells nail polish remover too.

1 Like