My modifications

I decided to strip the ano from my DV888. I was going to do the whole body but decided against it. I’m hoping to do more mods like this in the future. I saw you can strip anodization from metal using bar keeper’s friend and found that didn’t work very well at all. I got some 220 grit sandpaper and it took me a few more minutes but I finally got it to a finish I want.

I’m considering taking some 1000 grit to give it a better finish.

7 Likes

Whoa, that looks so sick!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m very satisfied with the shine.

There’s a couple ways to take off ano. Easy off oven cleaner works good. Be careful, that’s strong stuff!

You’re off to a good start! Take that sucker up to 2000 grit and you’ll get a mirror polish!

1 Like

Well yeah there is the more toxic way, but… It’s toxic

Yep! My brother said to do 400 then 600 then 1000 and he said he has some 2000 or 3000 and some metal polish.

1 Like

Sanding on a lathe/drill is by FAR the safest way to remove anodizing… not only is it non-toxic, but it doesn’t run the risk of introducing vibe like chemicals can. Nice work!

3 Likes

Good advice but not all of us have a lathe.

2 Likes

That’s why I also mentioned a drill. Not as fast, but works fine if you take the time to get it aligned well.

2 Likes

I tried the drill but it was weird lol.

If you get a spare scrap axle centered well in a drill, clamp the drill to a table and tape the trigger down it’s very easy. Highest speed you can.

Having the yoyo spin smoothly is the only way to ensure you won’t introduce vibe and permanently damage the yoyo.

1 Like

How long will it take for the oxidizing of the raw alu.
Looks incredible, I know they don’t rust but wondered if anyone has an after X months pic.
Nice work dude.

1 Like

Thanks man, that means a lot to me.

Aluminum is rust-resistant, meaning it doesn’t degrade due to oxidation caused by iron and oxygen. Rust only occurs in iron and other metals that contain iron.
-Google

I’ll surely post pictures of it if something does happen.

1 Like

While aluminum is rust resistant, it can get old looking quickly. One of the things (as a car obsessed teenager) I got really good at was detailing cars. You should put a polish on the aluminum for two reasons. One, it looks amazing, and two it will mean you won’t have to clean it for a while. You can either hand buff (which I always recommend) or use a buffing wheel (which is a bit overkill).

1 Like

Looks awesome!

1 Like

Kinda want to see what happens if I don’t polish it lol.

2 Likes

Stripped Magicyoyo Avocado. Going to polish it later on.

3 Likes

I can’t tell. Is it rough-feeling? It looks really cool as it is!

1 Like

It’s actually fairly smooth, it can grind now. If you feel it you will feel little weird patches where I guess the sodium hydroxide was uneven or something. Unfortunately, it did add vibe even though I masked off the guts but I’m not worried.

1 Like

thats exactly what i want to do to my avocado, but i dont want the vibe haha

1 Like

even though its a cheap yoyo, i quite enjoy it and they are not as easy to replace as the price suggests

2 Likes