my little pony?

Exactly. I watched an episode of My Little Pony, and didn’t see anything in it that I would enjoy (don’t knock it till’ you try it). I agree with you that putting MLP as an avatar, or signature is flashy, draws attention and will provoke people. Sometimes people like being provoked, and enjoy the excitement of arguing. I myself love to debate about my vegetarianism, and lack of religion, which I will NOT argue about the latter on this site as it may offend people, which is never good. I have no problem with people telling others that MLP is great, or people saying it’s childish. They’re both complete opinions and have no factual basis.

Hey I have an idea!

Back away from the computer, slowly, and go yoyo.

Let’s all play nice. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

haha exactly! I was tyring to be as neutral as possible with my take on the situation, and I hope I didn’t come off as rash.

That wasn’t directed at anyone in particular here. I just said that before things DID get out of hand.

1 Like

Stookie
From your response it sounds as if you took offense to my remarks which would be completely contrary to the spirit in which they were intended and something for which I apologize. Perhaps my last at bat was a pop fly to center. Please allow me to step to the plate once more and then after this I’ll go sit in the bleachers with a hot dog and beer.

A couple of weeks ago I dozed off on the couch and when I woke up the tail end of Leno was on with a young lady named Regina Spektor just starting to sing a song. I had never heard of Regina Spektor. I was mesmerized. I thought her song was one of the most beautiful I had heard in years. The next day I went out and bought her latest CD. I’ve tried sharing this music with others and thus far I haven’t found one other person who likes her music at all. I can’t understand it, I think she’s great.

In my area the local PBS station carries Lawrence Welk on Saturday evenings. I never ever see it. I couldn’t imagine sitting through that. A couple of years ago my father came to visit and his mother-in-law was with him. We watched Lawrence Welk because she really enjoyed it. I still don’t care for it, but Gladys was certainly free to watch her program in my home if she wanted to.

My point is simply this, just because one person does not find interest or enjoyment in something does not mean it’s not a completely valid pleasure for another. Our particular tastes or perspectives do not dictate what is correct for everyone else. Therefore I wish to repeat, if My Little Pony is something of interest to you, enjoy it to it’s fullest and have a great time discussing the program together in your unique fraternity.

I would like to close with this counsel. Be very slow and pensive to turn and lash out at those who have stepped into your corner in hopes of assisting in the fortification your position. Otherwise one may find themselves standing all alone on other battlefields which may arise throughout their life.

I personally was a Brony before it became “mainsream”.
I love watching the show, but love the community that comes with it just as much.
I could have a problem and random bronies on the internet that I don’t even know in real life would help me more than anyone I know (I have many examples).

Bronies are awesome people once you open up to them. A Brony friend is a best friend.

-zach, the creep, Brony #58
All of the above

…SSsssss…

I think “part” of the reaction has nothing to do with the subject matter itself. Part of the reaction is because of the images of the ponies appearing seemingly everywhere in avatars, signatures and in posts. I think some people don’t mind the show, what it means, or guys watching and so on, as most have never seen it, but it was the fact that if you are on a skill toy forum, yo-yos mostly, but people seem more interested in discussing something else to that extent, you start to wonder why there isn’t a specific forum they can go to and discuss that particular subject matter to that extent. It would be a lot better than having rules enforced deleting the pony pics and videos, as you would be a lot more free to discuss it. As a result, people start to pick apart the subject matter and discuss why it is good or bad in the first place. The cubing thread popped up, and because it is based on a skill toy, and there are not Rubik’s cube pictures posted everywhere on the forum, it does not get negative attention.

For example, I used to like to watch The Simpsons. If Bart Simpson and family popped up everywhere on the forum, in avatars, signatures, pictures in posts and so on, I guarantee even he would start getting a negative reaction like, “Go to a Simpson’s forum with that dude.” There would be a “no Simpsons pics” posting rule too. I think if you look at it that way, it is less likely to be taken the wrong way. A lot of people have no problem with the subject matter, it is the location and frequency that it appears. Substitute some other subject matter (besides skill toys) for the ponies and you will understand where some of the people are coming from.

Trouble is, if we respect the right of people to like MLP, we have to respect the right of others not to, and on a skill toy forum that was not set up to discuss MLP, the MLP lovers may find themselves outnumbered or feel a bit of a backlash. I don’t think most people mean to be offensive or judge at all. It is a lot of “human reaction” stuff. I hope it at least helps to understand from another point of view.

2 Likes

Look at some of the other large threads in our unrelated section- there’s been dozens of music threads, some going over a hundred pages. You could say that they have to leave and go to a music forum. Yet there is still music posted occasionally everywhere in the forum. People like this forum, so they post here. Say I dislike most of the music posted here- that doesn’t mean I have to demand that all bands I don’t like need to be banned. Just because someone dislikes something doesn’t mean the rules have to revolve around them.

Also, about the avatars and signatures- obviously people on this forum yoyo. It’s why we’re here. There’s no point in yoyo signatures/avatars. If MLP is another thing people here like, then why not let them have their signatures?

If you don’t like seeing an occasional picture then IGNORE THEM. That’s how it works best on the internet, we don’t have to foster everyone’s tastes.

I don’t care if people hate the show. That’s fine. But don’t act like you’re “understanding” by having a blanket rule of having MLP in one thread and one thread only. Even if some people here do hate the show, having the occasional thread about MLP and a few pictures that might leak out here and there won’t ruin their experience here or anything, or at least it shouldn’t in any sane person. Some other topics are spammed to death and there are members on this forum much more obnoxious than most if not all of the bronies here. Caring so much about this is so, incredibly pointless.

…also this thread was supposed to be about why people like the show. Not the rules we have.

^The music stuff…a ton of people yo-yo to music, at home and at contests, so music is related to yo-yoing in a lot of ways. More people associate music with yo-yoing than MLP, which is part of the reason you see it a lot on here and not the same backlash as a result. I honestly think the backlash is the result of what I stated above moreso than actually liking the program or not, because most people I know have not ever watched it. Again, if Bart Simpson was on here a lot, also a cartoon, which is a good analogy, people would be sick of him by now, and I can guarantee it.

Off topic, I actually really like Regina Spektor. She’s great.

The only thing more inexplicable than brony-ism is the culture that surrounds questioning, insulting, and browbeating the bronies for their fandom. I swear I read twice as many arguments coming from the outsiders than I ever do the bronies, and I thought that was the case before I even became a fan. I started watching because their hatred was so fervent that I thought I just had to at least see what was coming off. Lo and behold, the show turned out to be cute, funny, and clever.

Luckily, I place absolutely no value on the uninformed opinions of people whose only apparent qualification to critique the show is an internet connection. But they are sometimes pretty entertaining.

3 Likes

Music was a bad example. But the show isn’t all over the forums, it’s in one thread and once in a blue moon will be leaked elsewhere. Spam posts are often allowed, and random pictures are generally allowed in a given thread. If the arguments are that this is a yoyo forum and anything unrelated doesn’t belong, then by that logic I guarantee you there are MUCH more obnoxious posts on here. People are angry over nothing.

Let’s say Bart Simpson was as popular, and had it’s own thread. Let’s also say I don’t like Bart Simpson. If Bart Simpson had it’s own thread, and any and all Bart Simpson outside of the thread had another ban, then I would think that ban would be equally bad. I would be able to ignore the very occasional Bart Simpson posts in other threads.

Also remember guys this was the OP’s original question. This thread isn’t supposed to be about why it’s banned.

Honestly, I would say the same things in person. This MLP stuff has been in my face for a while, on all sorts of different forums, and I can’t help but find it annoying and borderline creepy.

1 Like

I have a few things wrong with MLP- not the show not the people, but the constant barrage of “imma brony, imma brony” people don’t need that 24/7.

think of the amish. no one gets irritated by the amish, because the just do their thing and don’t get in people’s face about it.

their are a lot of avatars and such that are MLP themed- thats OK, but wants not OK is this: “Yeah, I’m a brony- GOT A PROBLEM???” now you’re just treating people as if their opinions are insignificant. what if mountain bikers acted like bronies? i can imagine it… i ride bikes- ON THE MOUNTAINS. You got problem with that? HUH? HUH?

then, when someone does say they don’t like MLP, THE BRONIES get all in their face for being a hater, and think that, just because they don’t like the show, they automatically despise anyone who even remotely likes the show. not true (at least in my case). by doing this, the bronies are actually Judging the people whom they just demanded tolerance from.

just my two cents. sorry if i ranted.

2 Likes

The point he was making was how ignorant and rude the comment was not that you wouldn’t be the same Jimmie rustler in person.

I and many others hate the bronies that are looking for a fights as well, not all of us feel the need to prove ourselves.

I don’t mind if you hate the show that’s fine but don’t make hater threads complaining. If it’s a genuine complaint send a PM don’t go throwin’ flames and try to win Internet fights.

Amish aren’t a good example because they try to separate themselves where as bronies still have a love for the rest of the webz. But I feel yeah there are a lot of brony pride people out that spread it to the point of insanity.

1 Like

I don’t judge people for not liking the show. I’m still bothered by people who can’t stand the fact that I enjoy MLP. There’s something wrong with people saying “Now that I know you’re a brony, I’ve lost all respect for you. You guys are all the same, always in my face and I’m sick of it.” when all I did was wear a shirt with say Lyra on it. I’ve honestly NEVER seen someone go up someone and go “Hey, I’m a brony. If you don’t like the show like the show then I don’t like you!

I’m not making anyone’s opinion insignificant here. But if someone can’t deal with seeing people talk about the show occasionally then something is wrong. That’s all I’ve ever seen someone get mad about. If you have a quote of someone saying “IMMA A BRONY, IMMA BRONY, COME AT ME BRO” or anything similar then I guarantee you most bronies will find it equally annoying.

1 Like

Who’s trying to win internet fights? i didn’t know i was in one.

i have no problems with true bronies. i do have a problem with people who pretend to like the show so they can be part of some controversial group and view it as a status.

i have no problems with you, so why would i send a personal message to you only. people who are proud to be bronies, i have no reason to disrespect them.

i actually had a much better post, but it got deleted, so i had to rewrite it.

God i hate the internet

agree fully. its just when people talk smack about me liking it THEN i get mad…! again, people bragging or wanting to pick a fight cuz there a brony im sure other bronies find that qite annoying too.

Your examples were just kind of confusing, that’s all. I wasn’t really trying to direct much at you either.