My Fixie's Unfixing

My No Jive keeps coming apart.
I have to check it or it will get lose.
And while that makes for some excitement when I throw and it goes everywhere, it’s not ideal.

I have an o-ring in it and the gap is good, but I don’t want to twist the axle by over tightening, so any ideas on keeping things together?

Is this just a thing that you have to sort of look out for?

Those take-apart fixies are overrated. You need one of those wooden yoyos that don’t come apart ;D ;D :wink:

1 Like

Hahaha!
Don’t even worry about that, I’m keeping my eye OUT for one of those :smiley:

I’m just pretty sure that while I’m learning I’ll mess up the axle one way or another and I’m going to have to replace it.

Put some teflon tape around the axle threads…that should do the trick! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You beat me to it.

1 Like

I can’t believe I didn’t think of that…

…but you are absolutely right about not over tightening. You can warp the axle when you do that.

It’s more than likely the o-ring. If you have a solid shim that works better. You can make them out of card stock or the clear plastic most stuff comes encased in these days. Otherwise the teflon tape solution suggested may be the answer.

1 Like

why dont you show him what good fixies are…

Yeah, I’m thinking once I burn out an axle, I’ll just cut a piece off and use that.

This might be a dumb question, but how do I know if I’ve twisted the axle sleeve?

I’ve never had a problem with the sleeve on a no-jive, but an indication would be that you can’t effectively tighten the yoyo. I’m assuming by sleeve that you are referring to the threaded metal insert. If it does twist or come loose you could glue it with a bit of epoxy. But since it has a hex head embedded in the shell I think loosening it is very remote. You could however strip it.

I mean the wooden axle sleeve. If you over tighten the yoyo it can warp it.
But how do you know when that has happened?

1 Like

if you take it out it will be visibly twisted and slightly crushed compared to a new one. it happens with normal use over time (any time you catch the yo-yo unevenly, inertia will allow one side or another to twist a bit), but is exacerbated the more you manually tighten your yo-yo. it’ll also play noticeably crummier.

i probably have an example lying around somewhere.

1 Like