My first video(need help)

Hey guys Im in the process of making my first video. I dont have any experience editing and although im gonna learn, Id like to try this one one shot. Do you guys think its a bad idea? Also, Ive been practicing recording with my iPhone on my laptop while playing music and the videos sound all right, so could I use that as music? And I can do a bit of 1A and a bit of 5A. Could i put them both together or would it look bad?

putting music with video using an editing software isnt to difficult. I was able to do it while messing around with windows movie maker the first time. If you dont want to go that route then you can just play it while recording, its up to you, if you think it sounds fine then thats all that really matters i spose.

Alright, it all depends on why you want to film yourself, is it to show your skills or more for yourself, being able to see what your play looks from the outside in order to improve it?

If you want to show your skills, you can do it however you think it looks best. some like those “one shot” videos, and they’re obviously easier to edit, while probably much harder to record as you’ll have the pressure of the camera and you’ll be more likely to miss.

There are a few things that you should google before you begin, take 5 or 10 minutes of your time in order to make the difference between “another yoyo video” and a “good looking yoyo video”

bare with me here, so google the following

• rule of thirds
  • video shutter speed
    and if you want to know a little more
  • aperture
  • focal length (or how to use a zoom)

this will take about 10/15 minutes of your time but will greatly influence the end result of all your vids and photos. there’s nothing technical there, all easy to understand and use.

About the music, I’d say use the music to record on, and if your tricks are on the music, once you’re editing, put the original music on top of your video for a much better sound (you can, if you want, mix both sound sources, the video and the mp3, together for possibly a better result)

What I like to do, since I have only one cam (for now, the second one is on its way) is to prepare a combo, work on it a little bit. then record it from different angles. Then I put the whole thing together as if it was one unique performance, putting the emphasis on some angles depending on the part of the combo.

If you want your video to look good, also make sure the light source is not behind you, facing the camera (unless you want that specific effect). the easiest thing to do (but not the only you can do) is to put the light source facing you, either behind or right next to the cam.

make sure you record in a nice looking environment and use it as well to create your image. the place you shoot is as important as your subject, if not more, because it’ll give your subject a better value if used right.

Plan ahead, imagine the shots you want to do.

Maybe add in a few “extra” shots, not of yoyo or yoyoing, but maybe people walking around, buildings, streets, anything that you believe could be interesting and add depth to your end video. Try and show the context, the mood, the weather, the people, the ambiance and use these as cut shots, intro, outro. tell a story where yoyoing takes place. What is around what you’re filming is as important, if not more than what you’re filming. They made great movies of very simple scenarii, only with a nice screenplay and editing.

Go to video editing forums and communities, read the tutorials there, ask questions, show your videos there (and it’ll promote and show yoyoing to other people as well) they will be able to help you out a LOT more than people on yoyoing forums.

Give it time, give much attention to details, you’ll be greatly rewarded.