Must everything be made in China?

I really only care about vibe if a yoyo that didn’t have it starts to. Otherwise as long as it’s not shaking the string really bad I don’t mind.

4 Likes

String vibe is no bueno.

3 Likes

Reasonable arguments all around RE: vibe. I guess I’m not sure if as a community, we’re too focused on it, or if vibe is on the manufacturer due to defects. All I know is that manufacturers in China seem to be able to put out a higher quality product for less. Is that bad? IMO, a $150+ yoyo should have no vibe, but I guess I’m willing to give something in the $50 range some wiggle room. Is that reasonable or unreasonable?

6 Likes

Still pretty unreasonable. I’d be willing to give cheap plastics that wiggle room, not $50 metals. Especially when the machining costs go as low as $15 for a yoyo depending on the quantity.

2 Likes

All this is fine, but the tiny amount of vibe that most people would call B grade has no effect on how well the yoyo plays. Why should we obsess over this?

5 Likes

Depends, am I paying a B grade price or the price of an A grade for a B grade?

3 Likes

My issue is that vibe is a bit nebulous and will vary between individuals. If we had a standardized scale of amount of vibe, this conversation would be a little easier to find common ground.

1 Like

I also agree that if we don’t like it don’t buy it. How many people that complain about china made yoyos have more than IDK 4 yoyos. How many do you need to yoyo. I would bet anyone complaining about this not only buys china made, but does it with no necessity what so ever.

This is 100% true about me. I’m 33 yo. I’ve played video games my whole life. They use to be my whole life. I one day had enough of the DLC/season pass/ micro transactions. After 30 years of gaming I got up turned off my Xbox and haven’t touched a video game in 2 maybe 3 years. I’ve never even told this “story” outside my family tell now because I know it won’t stop anyone from buying these games I’m disgusted with.

So let me ask anyone complaining about chinese manufacturing; how much do you care? Will you only buy american? Or is your goal to keep buying chinese until everyone else stops? You probably don’t even need anymore yoyos. How much do you care?

1 Like

Well does the B grade perform worse than the A grade?

2 Likes

That’s not what I’m asking. It doesn’t matter if the B grade performs just as well. If it has vibe, then that means there is a flaw to the yoyo. I understand as a wood turner you have a different opinion on vibe, since wood is inherently inconsistent, but we are talking about metal yoyos that are machined precisely. If there’s a flaw to the yoyo, it shouldn’t be sold as a flawless piece.

I’m not so sure that vibe always indicates a flaw.

What else would cause vibe aside from an error in production?

1 Like

You know that every yoyo vibes, right? Even if it seems smooth, it still vibes.

There are other factors such as the bearing which can conrribute to vibe that aren’t manufacturing flaws. Even the aluminum itself may not be absolutely perfectly consistent.

What’s the real problem if it vibes a little yet still performs exactly the same as a smooth one?

There isn’t really one, just people’s perception.

2 Likes

Bearings are a fault of the assembler. Each yoyo should be tested before shipping. Aluminum being inconsistent is still a flaw in my eyes. And yes, I know every yoyo vibes, it’s a spinning object, but like anything else, there’s an acceptable limit to how severe the vibe is. And again, I’m not saying there’s an issue to a yoyo with vibe, I’m saying there’s an issue with paying A grade prices for something that should be a B grade, and that higher levels of vibe indicate a flaw.

1 Like

And shouldn’t that acceptable limit be when the yoyo no longer plays as it should?

Well, if you wish to pay $100+ and not know if you’re getting an A grade, or a B grade, that’s fine by me. I was just trying to explain why people are picky about vibe.

2 Likes

If I pay 100+ for a yoyo that performs as it should, then I don’t really care.

But I guess I can get one at a lower B grade price which is nice. I have picky vibe obsessed players to thank for that.

2 Likes

Ah you’re right. I’m being a bit of a jerk-face about the whole thing.

If manufacturers can easily produce smooth yoyos, then that’s exactly what they should sell and the customer expect.

3 Likes

Not a bad read but the short answer is no not everything must be made in China.
I personally don’t purchase Chinese made mostly because I don’t live in China.

4 Likes

This happened to me. I baught a 50-60$ bi-metal. " great bi-metal for the the money" I keep hearing. I get one. It vibed harder than I would call close to A grade or even high B. I contact the manufacturer and they sent me a new one no questions asked. The new one vibes just as hard. I bring this up and the response I get from the community ( the same one saying how great it is) all pretty much say " it’s a 50-60$ bi-metal. What do you expect?" After my mind settled I return to that yoyo and I feel like the vibe isn’t as bad as I remember. But I know it is. This is what I learned. If you are upfront about the A grade version having pretty good vibe I’m ok with it. If that fact is hidden or not talked about I get fixated on this feeling like I paid just as much as everyone else but am getting a sub par version of it.

3 Likes