MOWL Surveil - AMAZING play but can’t count!

First I need to say that the Surveil is a killer looker AND player. It’s a really fantastic throw I’m happy to own. But as I was admiring the markings on the face I noticed the Roman numerals are wrong! Traditionally the number 4 is “IV” not “IIII” as they have it, but that’s not the error I’m talking about. Check out the 6 which should be “VI” it is printed as “IV”. Just an interesting error I wondered if anyone else had noticed?

13 Likes

Maybe they looked at it at a weird angle and were like “this is right”

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed, but I just wrote it off as an example of bad english from a japanese company.

1 Like

Totally could see that. It is just a point of interest I noticed as I was obsessing over the beauty. It’s SUCH a great throw!!!

1 Like

lol I never noticed that.

1 Like

Just makes it more valuable like errors on baseball cards or something…

1 Like

no no no. It’s not an error… it just… like… an artistic expression on the illusion of time. ya know. art!

10 Likes

But Roman numerals aren’t English…

5 Likes

IIII is pretty common on clocks and watches since it visually balances with the VIII opposing it.

7 Likes

You beat me to that answer.

1 Like

Whoa, I’ve had this clock hanging up for almost 15 years now and I’ve never noticed “IIII” before. I actually assumed that was wrong on the Surveil. Thanks for blowing my mind with clock knowledge I guess.

8 Likes

Yeah and “IIII” is technically correct too, which is the reason I said I wasn’t calling that out as an error. But 6 is definitely “VI” in all cases, never “IV”

4 Likes

Its just bad adaption of foreign words or script and I over simplified my explanation lol

2 Likes