Most Powerful Organics with IGR

Is there such a beast, as a powerful organic with in IGR?

I think the Life is the closest I have.

2 Likes

Static Co Sudo

4 Likes

Yes I have the Sudo, thought about that one, and it does qualify. I think the trouble for me is that mine is Nickel plated. That seems to create more friction on the thumb grinds.

1 Like

Dunk

1 Like

In my collection, I’m going to have to go with my SPYY Radian Gen 2. Those thumb grinds lock right in too. SPYY’s finish is just perfect for grinds too.

1 Like

Spintime Matador

1 Like

What does IGR stand for?

–edit–
Inner Grind Ridge?

2 Likes

@twitch77 Basically a lip around the inside edge of the yoyo that you can stick your thumb under, for grinding.

Sorry to disappoint I know you wanted the IGR to be something like interior green ruffles! :wink:

4 Likes

Markmont Classic is a beast with an IGR.

2 Likes

Inner Grind Ring/Rim?

3 Likes

SPYY Addiction is pretty good

4 Likes

The shape of an IGR is also just a great way to concentrate rim weight. Lots of older designs were organic + IGR.

Life is a good choice for a beast (aka good-performing, with modern updates) organic with IGR, though.

What about an organic bimetal for beastliness? Not that I’ve ever played with one of those, but still I imagine it could qualify if the steel ring was situated just right. Batsquatch?.. but it doesn’t look like an IGR…

2 Likes

Inevitably Green Rules.

1 Like

Dif-e-yo Juggernaut. Thumb grinds are stupid easy to do with it.

2 Likes

I didn’t expect to get so many relatively older model suggestions. It does make sense however, as IGRs used to be more common, and the dominant shape used to be organic. Designers who wanted to make more powerful yoyos, tended more often to incorporate organic shapes.

Now other shapes are more common for spin power, and with some exceptions, organics tend to be more about comfort and interesting play characteristics. Adding in an IGR to the rare power organic, and it becomes rarer still.

Maybe I should tell a bit about what brought me to ask this. I have a trick that has a thumb grind at the end, and there are sections with lots of layers leading up to it. Therefore, I need a lot of spin power to make it through the trick. I need it. I’m sure many players would not have much problem doing this trick!

I’m able to do the trick on more high performance yoyos. However, I noticed that it looks cool to get a helix going during the thumb grind, as I was attempting the trick on organic yoyos. However that creates even more friction, and puts organics’ spin power even more to the test.

Actually I can do the trick on yoyos without an IGR, as long as there is a big enough lip, ie. the Kenshin. Maybe one of those would be worth looking at.

TBH, I’ve been practicing this trick a lot after originally posting. The easiest for me seems to be the Wangle, and the Life, but I’ve even been able to pull it off on the Intro.

As is often the case, practice is the key. Still, I’m now interested in these yoyos!

3 Likes

I’m surprised the 2019 Duncan MayheM didn’t come up yet.

2 Likes

My biggest disappointment was when the Peak 2 didn’t have an IRG.

4 Likes

I came close to buying the Mayhem when it came out.

Heh, I was researching the Mayhem and this came up: http://www.yoyoguy.com/PN/DU62/Duncan-Yo-yos/MayheM.html

In my limited foray into yoyo design on fusion 360, IGRs actually let me take some rim weight away from the yoyo if i want to reduce the moi/weight a bit.

3 Likes

The Screaming Eagle MayheM is an awesome old school from 2009 and undersize by today’s standards. The 2019 MayheM plays heavier than A-RT organics and has a thick rounded lip that curls into the cup. It was also machined by One Drop. Some pics I took last summer of the two

3 Likes