MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

Thanks a lot Moons :smiley:

Had a rough time at the start of this past week and was afraid I was burning out a bit. But I dug in and kept at itā€¦havenā€™t missed a day of practice despite myself.

Even still, I really am looking forward to catching my breath a bit this coming up week!
Hopefully these Barrel Roll combos wont be too stressful for me!

Iā€™d also like to continue working on Candy Rain.

I have some Candy Rain progress videos Iā€™m working on now. Will share them in a bit.
Candy Rain is an awesome trick and I really look forward to being able to complete it! Iā€™m not there yet, but Iā€™m getting there!

2 Likes

Told you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Oh I always knew it was a cool trick.
Iā€™ve always just felt like itā€™s waaaaay beyond my skill level.
haha I still believe this. >.<ā€™ Iā€™ve made some progress this week, but as youā€™ll see soon in my videosā€¦Iā€™ve still got a long ways to go on this one.

2 Likes

So I worked on this trick in 3 parts. The start with the Magic Drop thing, then the middle and finally the end.

That Magic Drop thing is brutal for me!
Hereā€™s about where I am with it. Iā€™m so clueless with it hahaā€¦not sure how in the world to get smooth with this thing!

Then the middle bits:

And a bunch of failed attempts at the whole thing:

ā€¦
On a side note, ever since working on this trick Iā€™m starting to hit Kamikaze with much more consistency (still not smooth though!).

And my favorite thing from this week is this simple combo I didā€¦itā€™s pretty fun for me at my current skill level!

5 Likes

Also, kinda embarrassed to leave this hereā€¦itā€™s sloppy, I miss a bunch of mounts and I mess the end up and have to do it twice hahaā€¦
But hey, at least it has all 3 of the sections to it!
ā€¦I really am too hard on myself. :sauropod:

5 Likes

At the start of my Candy Rain video, watch how the yo-yo kind of launches across after the rejection. The motion to make that happen is pretty simpleā€”itā€™s mentioned in a video I saw, Iā€™m not sure which. You sort of bring your hands together, then pull them apart a bit right when it rejects, and it accelerates the yo-yo so it doesnā€™t just fall, EDIT: then bring them together again as much as needed to give it slack to wrap around your hands. That takes some practice, but you can do it with just letting it fall too, you just need to swing your arms a bit to accelerate it around your hands.

Also, it looks to me like your string is a bit on the shorter side, which definitely makes Candy Rain a little bit harder with all the tight mounts.

Hereā€™s my video, look at the beginning to see what I mean about the magic drop.

3 Likes

lol I know you keep telling me how simple and easy this trick is, and Iā€™m sure it was for youā€¦but itā€™s been pretty dang difficult for me to be honest.

Iā€™m not getting the magic drop (in this trick). Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get it eventually, but for now Iā€™m baffled.
I watch these videos and read tips like you leftā€¦but in practice nothing makes sense. :sauropod:

1 Like

Oh no :upside_down_face: Itā€™s relatively simple, more simple than it looks, and not nearly as long as it looks at first, but it definitely wasnā€™t easy for me. It took a lot of work, a lot of patience, and it would have been horrible doing it already pre-burnt out. I would have recommended against it this week if I knew you were already feeling burnt out.

But regardless, you made good progress anyway; good on you. You have the middle down, which is totally the fun part. You are close on the other bits. Thatā€™s great.

2 Likes

Alright, we kinda buried the week 13 announcement. Sorry everybody.

https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/t/moonagemin-twitchs-trick-a-week-challenge-week-13-barrel-roll-combos/311398/1602

2 Likes

I just landed 4 spirit bombs on my commute. Totally clean! Im on my way to consistancy with this one!

3 Likes

Hi guys, hereā€™s some progress I made with boingy boing, which is one of those tricks I have never landed consistently in the past. All starts with a breakaway throw as I suck at frontstyle.
Then I made a variation of boingy boing essentially bouncing into a triangle formed out of the ā€œmomentum bindā€ mount.
I find much more easy to bounce the triangle than the split bottom mount. Itā€™s weird but I guess thatā€™s because the strings are naturally parallel having a knot in the string formation.
Hope you enjoy

EDIT: look at that jacket, I had to wear it to display the string :joy::joy::joy:

8 Likes

Nice. Sideways boingy boing, thatā€™s awesome. And that was a pretty sweet combo.

4 Likes

That was very cool. I hope when i grow up i throw like youšŸ˜‰

4 Likes

I was pretty pleased with my progress so i tried a video during a break today ā€¦i love just learning new elements to throw into a jam session. Iā€™l keep working on it.

8 Likes

Man that was sick! Itā€™s hypnotic to seeā€¦ much better than mine attempt honestlyā€¦ :blush:

4 Likes

Sweet stuff!

3 Likes

Man, you totally killed that.

3 Likes

Full disclosure i discovered these series last year. I think the frontstyle and braintwister series are full of things all you guys with legits skills would rock. If you have not watched these in a while you should go back and watch them all. If you never watched them then start now.

4 Likes

Gahā€¦Iā€™m still in a funk right now that Iā€™m having a heck of a hard time kicking myself out of. /sigh

And Iā€™m feeling pretty self-conscious about my skills in yoing these past few weeks which isnā€™t helping.

Iā€™m still practicing. Iā€™m still hereā€¦just not as ā€˜bouncy and hyperā€™ as usual atm.
Iā€™m working on a (very simple, easy) little combo with barrel rolls though that I hope to catch on video this weekend.

@ChrysaeThrows haha wow! I have never seen a sideways boingy before and it was awesome! That was a really cool combo too!!

@AKYOYOMIKE Like a BOSS! :smiley: That was awesome man!!

4 Likes

BANSHEE!

4 Likes