MoonageMin & Twitch's Trick-a-Week Challenge! (2020)

Cool video but never have I had to smash the mute button so quickly! Arrrrgh my ears!!!

2 Likes

Too loud? Or was it the song itself?

If it was too loud Iā€™ll start lowering the volume in my future videos.

1 Like

The song itself (Iā€™m just teasing)

3 Likes

Sorry guys Iā€™ve not been active the last week, I spent my weekend off on ski slopes and then at home with the flu lol.
When I first looked at candy rain I thought ā€œthereā€™s a magic drop, I have never learned it so Iā€™ll never land itā€ but then yesterday I started to study the magic drop itself and I found that it is actually very simple! The problem is that the tutorials I found do not say one of the most important thing, or maybe I missed it: the yoyo does not have to roll over your whole TH, but only over your index finger, this makes the rejection way easier. I will start practicing candy rain today, hope to upload a video by the end of the week.

4 Likes

So howā€™s everyone doing this week? :slight_smile:

I hope I didnā€™t lose too much respect from you guys because of my little meltdown earlier this week. Itā€™s just been one of those weeks for me. Lots of ups and downs.

That being saidā€¦after coming here and venting, I ended up having one of the funnest practice sessions Iā€™ve had in weeks later that night! I was just hitting things left and right and everything was just flowing. Felt great!

Andā€¦I havenā€™t given in! Iā€™ve practiced each night this week so far.
I think Iā€™m making some pretty good progress on Candy Rain too! I have all of the middle bits downā€¦and Iā€™m confident I can get the ending of the trick down too, I just havenā€™t started working on it yet.
That magic drop start though. :face_with_head_bandage: What a pain! hahaā€¦as if magic drop isnā€™t enough of a nightmare!! :stuck_out_tongue:
I can get the string to reject sometimes but I struggle really bad with getting the rest of that opening element down smoothly without having to pause to get everything set up.

On the plus sideā€¦
My consistency with Kamikaze has absolutely skyrocketed this week every since working on Candy Rain! Iā€™'m really happy about this!

Iā€™m also really happy with the little Kamikaze combo I came up with yesterday. I know itā€™s just a bunch of simple elementsā€¦but it is a fun one for me!

So yeahā€¦my heart isnā€™t 100% in it this weekā€¦but I gotta pat myself on my back for pushing through and making progress despite.

Iā€™ll try to get a progress video up within the next couple of days :slight_smile:

Thanks for putting up with me guys!

4 Likes

Spirit bomb is just one of those tricks that when you have it, you have it. Itā€™s pretty much just fancy kwijibo anyway. Iā€™m gonna start workin on the new stuff tonight or tomorrow. Iā€™m still a ways behind.

3 Likes

Its been a rough week for me with work and online classes starting up again. Iā€™ve spent about a grand total of 30 minutes working on the trick this week lol.

As far as your struggles going, maybe youā€™ve just got some learning fatigue. It can be pretty taxing spending hours heavily focused on any skill, even these fun toys we love :stuck_out_tongue:

If it wasnā€™t for bad weeks, the good ones wouldnā€™t be as enjoyable!

4 Likes

At best i think i have a bunch of interesting dismounts and flow in and out of Houdiniā€¦ i totally confuse the order of each everytime for candy rainā€¦but like every week so far it has really expanded my freestyle. Since iā€™m flying home tomorrow i donā€™t think iā€™m making much more progress on the first step either. Another trick i wonā€™t film in time yet anytime i learn something new is well worth the effort.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that this is a good week for you, man.

I worked on Candy Rain this week but unlike the other tricks this just does not come natural to me. Iā€™m struggling a lot in keeping the yoyo moving and land the trick smoothly. At a certain point I just gave up and put the yoyo aside.
But today I have received some new strings to try out, so this evening Iā€™ll try to eventually land candy rain and film something.

3 Likes

Meh, no pressure!
Some tricks weā€™ll like and some just wont be our thing.

Sometimes I think this is the best thing you can do to keep things from becoming too frustrating.

2 Likes

So i just threw 2 spirit bombs in a row followed by the Ryoko week #11 challenge all in a rowā€¦ a couple smoothe and suicides back to back! Plastic whips and gyro flops! Even hit some superflow to try and tie things togetherā€¦NO knots! I was on the subway in the ZONE and 2 people where totally hypnotized by it! They loved itā€¦ very cool. No video but thatā€™s usually my best jam!

3 Likes

Man, thatā€™s so cool! :smiley: I love when things just flow and come natural! Itā€™s like you zen out and everything just happens!
Amazing feeling!

1 Like

I struggled with Spirit Bomb for much longer than I care to admit. I got so frustrated, I moved in. Then went back to it after learning a few other tricks, then got frustrated and rage quit again, learned a couple others, went back to Spirit Bomb. At this point, I made a commitment to myself to learn it without moving on. For some reason, I didnā€™t struggle with it as much the last go ā€˜round. I think with some tricks, for me at least, there seems to be a timelines in about learning some, much like I have found books to be in my life. Itā€™s almost as if, for whatever reason, Iā€™m not ready or meant to learn the trick yet, just as I have found with books, although figuring out why the timing of a book is much easier to determine. It has to do with whatever Iā€™m going through at a particular time in my life, and when Iā€™m finally able to stay focused and get through the book, it directly pertains to my life at that moment, whereas any earlier and it would not have resonated. Maybe the learning certain tricks is easier at a particular time for me based on the elements involved, I dunno. I have had a few tricks like that for me, where itā€™s as if I wasnā€™t ready to learn the trick, then when I went back to it, I nailed it much much easier. Who knows, maybe my backwards brain requires a long digesting of the trick on the subconscious level. LoL Who knows these things?! Anyway, good luck. One day youā€™ll nail it and it will be such a great feeling. It certainly was for me, more so than any other trick but the dreaded magic drop.

4 Likes

Hey thanks for that @JustJ :slight_smile:

It can be so hard for me not to get frustrated at myself sometimes. Iā€™m sure you all can relate with that.
Iā€™m hoping to have Spirit Bomb down eventuallyā€¦but Iā€™m not working on it very hard anymore. I still give it an attempt here and there, but Iā€™m not focused on it.
Itā€™s a trick Iā€™ll keep in my back pocket that I can bring out to continue working on once in a great while. One day Iā€™ll have it!

Magic Drop and Kamikaze were part of what caused me to burn out in the early 2000ā€™s. OMG I was getting SO frustrated haha.
Iā€™m finally getting consistent with Kamikaze at this point! :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™m still workin on the last 2 but hereā€™s something I thought of while messing around. It started by hopping the wrong way out of a green triangle and I thought it looked kinda cool.

5 Likes

Nice! That looked great! :smiley:

2 Likes

This weekā€™s trick was amazing but simply it was not my trick so I just gave up on candy rain for the moment. Canā€™t wait to see whatā€™s next!! @twitch77 @MoonageMin

2 Likes

Okay so week #13.

We have intentionally picked something somewhat easier this week.

I am buried in work, Twitch is a bit burnt out and it seems everyone needs a relaxing (but hopefully still productive) week to refresh, catch up, etc while also adding to their tool kit.

Itā€™s been a while since we did front style so this week is like a front style bonanza.

This is the main trick I want people to learn this week. More specifically the final variation of barrel rolls on this exact video which I think looks super smooth. And hopefully shouldnā€™t be too difficult.

Couple this together with all the various ways you can get into the split bottom mount other than the simple way that we (well at least it is for me) always do.

And that is this weeks main tricks.

Now to add a little extra to those who have been skipping these trick ladder staples once you learn these combine them with these.

Boingy boing

And Pop n Fresh

There you have it. What should be a relaxing week plus ticking off those classics that I have quite yet to master. :slight_smile:

I believe we all need a soft week and this is my gift to you all :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:+1:

3 Likes

Right up my alley! Hopefully i get week 11 and 12 in by the end of the week as wellā€¦ i love me some front style.

4 Likes