Modfather Freehand Zero. (pics to come later)

Intro:
I’ve always loved freehand zero’s, they evoke an odd kind of passion in me. They look how a yoyo should look (In my opinion), like a toy. The idea of modding them has been around for while now and strikes me as being one of the best ways to play yoyo. Use a yoyo that looks like a toy to do all today’s complicated tricks and you’re far more likely to encourage non-yoyoers to have a go than if you were using an expensive, precision crafted, metal yoyo.
What follows is a review of the first modded Freehand Zero I have ever owned. It has been silicone recessed on both sides and has a clean bearing.

Looks:
Like any other FHZ. Simply stunning through its stunning simplicity. It’s 56mm diameter puts it at the large end of the scale, however, unlike most of today’s yoyos it has a relatively thin profile. The logo on the sidecaps is instantly recognisable, but still fits in with the “fun” theme of the yoyo. That’s pretty much it.

First Throws:
Fun! Before the silicone wore in it played with all the responsive goodness that you expect from a zero. After break in it still plays well. The only difference is that it requires a bind to return. This is the best first impression a new yoyo has made on me to date. It bodes well for the chance of becoming a main player.
The silicone job itself is very professional. Evenly matched on both sides and very cleanly done. It provides the perfect level of response when broken in. Snappy, yet smooth binds, no snagging during play. Could not ask for more.
The thin gap is also something that is slowly disappearing from modern yoyos. The thin gap/small bearing combination is a fantastic one that is not seen enough anymore. It allows for faster and more controlled play and also goes some way to smoothing out your style.

What’s it like to live with?:
Fun…again! It just kept getting better. It spins long enough to easily cover my longest tricks. It’s pretty darn smooth and tilt free. It doesn’t quite keep up with my superstar or CUT (it does come very close though), but then again, I’m not sure I’d want it too. I love the fact that it doesn’t play absolutely perfectly, it gives it a soul, makes you bond with it. Ever since this came through the post I’ve struggled to put it down for the simple reason that, for me, it is what a yoyo should be. First and foremost fun, whilst still being extremely playable and easy to live with.

Final thoughts:
Get One. Nuff said. It brings a smile to my face everytime I use it (which is a lot). It is a refreshing look at a timeless classic and I love it. I love it so much that I’m trading my 28 Stories Wooly Marmot for more of them. It became my main player very quickly and will stay there for a long time.
It plays like a modern yoyo should. It looks like a yoyo should. It ticks every box I have required of it.
Lastly, I would like to extend thanks to The Modfather himself. Mr Perry Prine has done a fantastic job on these yoyos and he’s also a fantastic person to deal with. Many thanks Perry. You’ve made the best yoyo I’ve ever played with.

Comments and criticisms please. This is my first review .

Klepto

Very nice review. I love how you incorporate your viewpoints in this review.

Great job! The review, as does the yoyo, has character.

This gives me even more of a reason to want a FHZ, great review!!!

I had the pleasure of throwing a highwalled sili recessed FHZ modded my the Modfather himself. It’s definitely on my want list. And he is a very nice guy.

Thank you all for your kind words! You guys are the best!

Contact me about trading Modfather product.

I know a thing or two about good reviws, and thats a good reveiw!!! sound snice too. well done. :o