Modern Responsive

Yeah I’m curious what you don’t like about it? I just got my Gamer Lite from the recent run and its way better than I anticipated. With the slim C bearing it is snappy responsive even with a dry bearing, and shoots the moon like mad. its not very good for 1a with the slim bearing, but thats ok. its also a smidge heavy, but it plays much lighter than it is. you really only feel the weight on the catch or on hard stalls

2 Likes

I feel like there are not that many light-weight options out there? Besides the entry-level (cheap) yoyo, what lighter-weight responsive yoyos are currently available (not sold out, or have upcoming releases)?

My perspective on responsive yoyo weight has been skewed by the DayTripper being the only responsive yoyo I played with for months. I didn’t realize how much of an outlier it is. I’m a little worried that my perspective has been completely ruined by how lightweight it is, because even the Respawn Lite feels way to heavy.

@TommyBwell Do you like the El Mijo better with the half-spec bearing or fixed axle blank? Also, what kind of string do you use in the El Mijo in fixed mode? I’m wondering if I should get some cotton string, since that’s what’s recommended for wood yoyos. I’ve been waiting for my El Mijo since mid-December. I suspect it got lost at JFK, because it was there in customs for more than 2 weeks. Thankfully, it’s escaped, although it’s strange that it has gone through Kansas City on it’s way to Memphis.

4 Likes

I’ve gotten rid of a couple of yoyos that I wish I still had now that I’ve gotten interested in playing responsive again. The biggest loss being my Daizzy-Fly. I will say that judging from what I still own, the new ones are mostly better!

3 Likes

I’ve been going back and forth between the blank and a very lightly greased slim bearing. I think I like the slim bearing a bit better

4 Likes

Does anyone have a Flying V and can they comment on how it holds up compared to these more recent metal modern responsive releases? Anything it compares to?

Again, I want to reiterate how much I love the RBC and Weekender. Feel free to substitute Weekender with Daytripper, I just prefer the extra width. They level if response the provide is uncanny in their perfection.

I’ll always have love for the Deep State, it was that catalyst for my metal modern responsive journey. If they ever decided to make adjustments to their side effects to make an A or D bearing version (or just go with a tapped axle) I’d love to see how that would shake things up.

1 Like

I’ve got a Flying V, I keep it with a large C, it’s great! I actually prefer it unresponsive, but when I play it responsive I usually use a rubber shield large C. I don’t know the weight of it, but compared to most modern responsives it’s on the heavier side. I can try to take some comparison photos and weights later if you’d like? Anything you want to see it compared to?

5 Likes

I have only played it with the blank and the half spec. It’s cool with the blank but I prefer the half spec. I’m going to lube up one of the full specs and see how it does. I believe that the cotton string thing was determined to be out of date. The wooden axles would melt the polyester but I believe we are on the other side of that.

1 Like

Aaron, thank you for the feedback so very much.

Yeah, if you feel like posting pics if it compared to some of the more popular metal modern responsives that came out in the last couple years that would be awesome. Unsure which if those you have, but would love to at least see the comparison to an AlleyCat as the two tie in with ed. Thanks again

2 Likes

Interesting. I guess some people are still using cotton, since Zipline is selling out of their [kot-n] string, but it’s good to know that polyester works well for fixed axles now.

Wooden fixed axles do still have the concern with friction melting poly, so cotton is still preferred. I have personally found, though, that it depends on what you’re trying to do. I think if you’re going to try complex string tricks with a fixed axle (throwing “axle scorchers” as I have seen them called) and trying to eek out as much spin time as possible it’s probably recommended to use 100% cotton string. If you’re doing lighter throws for things like stalls, my experience has been that cotton/poly blend works okay and it may be possible to get away with just using 100% poly since you aren’t going to be generating as much heat.

4 Likes

Yeah, you may be spoiled by using one of the lightest weight options. I personally enjoy throwing a wide range of weights, but there is something about the lighter ones that just feels really good.

It’s really hard to keep track of what is “currently available”, but in terms of metal responsive bearing yoyos, The Daytripper is currently the lightest of the light (not counting the Axl Elite).

• Axl Elite 43g
  • Daytripper 46.6g
  • Weekender 47g
  • Red Blood Cell 48g
  • Deep State 48.8g (I think this is with flat caps, I don’t have ultralights)
  • Deeper State 52.3g
  • Respawn Lite 52.5g

It just gets heavier from there, up to the OG Gamer at 66g (for reference, the Gamer Light that’s currently available is 61.3g).

Of those, the RBC was just released and still available. Highly recommended.

I think the Deep State had a run recently, and it’s usually not hard to find one on BST.

I believe Custom Products still makes the Axl Elite and some other models in a similar weight class (Axl, Reactor, and maybe Chain Reactor are around 48g, but I haven’t actually played with them). However, if you have a Daytripper it’s probably not worth the effort since it is basically DocPop’s reimagining of the Axl Elite updated with modern response pads and a better finish…

As always, weight distribution and personal preferences play a role in how it feels on the string.

3 Likes

This morning I remembered I have some thin shims. Dropped one of them into the Gamer Lite with the slim bearing, and its still reliably responsive but I can at least hit boingy-boing if I’m clean and deliberate. With 2 shims it loses a little reliability unless you play hard, but 1a becomes very easy. Having the ability to adjust response on the slim bearing without needing grease will be nice in the future.

the more I play with it, the more I really like the weight too lol

4 Likes

Probably will be tomorrow when I can takes some photos. I’ve got a bunch, so I’ll get some different comparison shots for you. Alleycats and Flying V are not that similar, just as a heads up.

4 Likes

I’m limited on my choices of modern responsive.

I only have the Confusion right now and compared to my Bumble Bee and my Playmaxx Raw Fusion it underperforms for me.

1 Like

flat bearing or centertrac? thic pads or thin? Is your bearing greased enough? I’m genuinelyi curious because while I haven’t tried the confusion, it checks all the boxes for good modern responsive/0a play on paper. high walls, narrow gap, light weight, a-bearing, response pad options, etc

2 Likes

Hopefully you get it soon!!

1 Like

It has the A bearing but not called A bearing. I think.

Anyone else who has the Confusion, play with all your other responsive throws then rate the Confusion against them after you Shot the Moon with all of them.

I’m curious if it is the Confusion or me.

the A-bearing just refers to the size of the bearing, the confusion is 100% an a-bearing, but I’m fairly certian the confusion ships with 2 bearings, 1 centertrac, one flat. I could be wrong there, but thats what I’m asking about

I just double checked and mine did not come with an A center trac, just the flat. I believe there are two different YYF small (A bearing) pads, thick and thin. Usually orange vs white. I think some of the newer Confusions shipped with one set of pads installed and maybe the other type in the box? I know the Moonshine 2 had one of each as a sort of compromise between the two. Or maybe Ben was really bored.

Just confirmed my first run Confusion had the thick, orange pads. I don’t think they were shipping the white ones with them at the time.

2 Likes

It’s cold outside and I have too many, but part of it might be Shoot the Moon being your benchmark. I’ve found that different responsive throws behave differently for Shoot the Moon in particular. Some require more adjustment or compensation than others, and some just seem harder.

My Confusion with thick pads is a little grabby and isn’t as easy to Shoot the Moon with as, say, the RBC or Daytripper is for me. Granted, I’m not a great player and I’m not an expert at Shooting the Moon. When I’m out and playing with my Confusion I’m using messing with stall tricks or doing Planet Hops while waiting for something else to happen or walking the dog, and it works fine for all of that and some string tricks on the simple side.

If I can remember where I put it, I think my backup Confusion has the thin pads in and I’ll play around with that later and see if it makes a difference for me.

edit: I found my backup. The white pads make it semiresponsive. It’s still about the same for Shoot the Moon for me. I feel like I’m not quite finding the right inflection point. It’s certainly easier to do some other tricks with the less grabby pads, but I would probably keep at least one thick one in if I only had one Confusion.

1 Like