Modern Responsive Tutorials I Made

I present to you a few tutorials in the style of Fixed Axle - Responsive - Modern Responsive - yoyo.

I am far from an authority on this but my hope is between what you already know, these tutorials and the other instructions out there you can learn the style that I enjoy most!

After many attempts here is what I have put together! Season One will include what I feel are foundational basics that need to be worked on first.

Why did I do this? Well certainly not because there’s nothing else out there! There really is some fantastic work people have put together already but, on my Instagram (overtinkering) I’ve been getting some people asking me a little details or for entire tutorial. So instead of replying individually like I had been, I thought I’d put together something more formal to direct them to, and it was a good experience to try to get all my thoughts together.

I was encouraged to share it here so hopefully someone else can find it valuable, in some way.

My Tutorial Playlist. My Tutorials - YouTube

Ok thanks for listening have fun!

18 Likes

Subscribed.

Cant wait to spend more time with these.

Criticism?

Just watched the Trapeeze Stall. The way you do it makes it look so easy. Where in the breakaway do you start your return?

It looks like it starts just before the non throw hand itersects the string. The yoyo just jumps into the Trapeeze.

The way I have been doing it (Limited Success) is after the the non throw hand intersects the string and yoyo is traveling up from the floor. Past Horizontal if you will.

Maybe elaborate a little more on Future videos on where you start the return and why?

Thank you for putting these together.

1 Like

I appreciate your criticism you presented it in a very nice manner thank you I will try to think more on how I can pull this off to teach that!

It’s been a huge learning curve for me so I’m hoping to build from this it’s hard putting something that’s muscle memory to words I noticed!

But thank you and I’m glad your first impressions are positive thank you

2 Likes

you definitely need to start the return (tug) before the string contacts your freehand. you may not get a return at all if it contacts your freehand before you tug. I’m pretty sure it has to do with the way the return motion interacts with the rotation from the breakaway throw; you just need the yoyo to start returning in order for it to land in the trapeze. Also, the same advice about the yoyo being closer to your freehand when it lands (for a regular trapeze) applies here. the closer the yoyo is to your freehand, the easier it is to land. I think if you intentionally start the return earlier, you’ll find it gets a little easier. I’ve also found that moving my freehand away from my body during the return will make the trapeze loop longer, and keeping it in place will usually result in a shorter loop. The placement of the yoyo in the stall is really a matter of feeling. But when you’re first learning, try to do it without moving your freehand at all.

you can also try doing a trapeze stall from an eli hop, where you land a regular trapeze, start the eli hop, but hesitate moving your hands away from each other when the yoyo gets to the top of the hop. After you sense the yoyo returning during your hesitation, you just have to experiment on the timing of how fast to separate your hands in order to land it in the stall with the right string proportions.

Edit:
If you’re having trouble with the yoyo falling out of the stall, try a lighter throw or try “cushioning” the landing by very quickly (but gently) moving both hands down as the yoyo is landing in the stall and moving your hands slightly together to create more of a “checkmark” shape with the string.

4 Likes

You had a good point and thank you again for bringing it to my attention I am going to add an extra video after that one the link will be available at the bottom in the text for the trapeze stall!
These problems arise I’ll try to add supplementals or completely reshoot the video!

It was very challenging how to do this and at the same time a very good learning experience it pushed me in ways I didn’t expect and outside of my comfort zone that’s for sure! Haha

3 Likes

Thank you for the Supplemental Update!

I have a clearer understanding of what you are doing AND what I may not be doing correctly.

Have fun.

Oh that’s wonderful to hear thanks for letting me know!

1 Like