Modding a Fireball for More Response?

Dear Modlords, please advise me on how to get a yomega fireball set up for looping play. I cannot get it responsive enough. I’d like so share what I’ve already tried and see if y’all have any other suggestions to try before I get drastic.

First thing I did was switch to my fattest string—not responsive enough

Then I blobbed a bit of Vaseline between the trans axle and axle—not responsive enough

Then I tried playing with the string wraps around the transaxle
1-6x—not responsive enough, no real change between adding these extra wraps, probably because of the way the transaxle is designed but I don’t know.
7x—sounds funny and not responsive enough
8x—doesn’t sleep at all

I searched the graveyard and lots of the mods I’m seeing are kind of sketch and I know this thing is fragile because this is the second one I got and the first one came with the plastic pre cracked.

With 2x wraps the response is close, but not quite there.

I have lots of sand paper 80-800grit. Would roughing up the inside or transaxle itself help?

Can I just add a pad over the starburst? Has anyone tried this?

There is a post I found that goes through how to drill out the response area so that you could add flowable Silicone or pads, which I will follow if y’all don’t have any other suggestions for things to try…that just seems intense and I thought it would be better to ask here first. Thanks!

1 Like

You can buy spacers that are pre modded, or you can sand down the plastic spacers that come with it.

1 Like

If you want a setup for looping play, you can replace the nylon bearing into size k ball bearing + plastic spacers and a new axle to be fully mod. Once you replace the inner parts it needs to overcranked the yoyo in order to narrow down the gap, using this method is a risk so be careful.

1 Like

Okay I’m going to sand down the width of this plastic transaxle piece some and then very careful over crank it a tiny bit by tiny bit later tonight. Thanks I’ll let y’all know how it goes. Probably should have just got a loop720…

2 Likes

honestly i don’t like the fireball for looping. same problems really. i can make it work for a little while with gobs of silicone lube. a thick cotton string might work slightly better than polly too. but a raider ex is probably better since it comes with many spacers to adjust gap and a ball bearing you can tune with silicone grease, etc… my takada 720’s with the red bearing spacers have all the response i need, no tuning required. I actually prefer looping with fixies so far…

3 Likes

TK Turbo Disc stickers work good

3 Likes

Okay okay went in confident. I did research, got good advice, and knew my goal—shrink the width of this gap, just a hair. I got the little plastic transaxle sanded down perfect like definitely shorter and looking good I didn’t want that to trip me up. Went to crank it, it worked but wasn’t responsive enough, undid the crank like the tuts say, did it again, almost almost perfect and the first two went well so I was like aight let’s go. Did the untwist to release the pressure and the axle broke off in there lol oh well I got greedy live and learn!

1 Like

Probably too late now, but one of these (not two) would work just fine.

For myself, fireballs work just fine with cotton string and well lubed, either oil or grease.

2 Likes

If your careful with the caps you can remove them and repair the yoyo. It’s tedious but once the caps are off fear of cranking it is long gone lol

You would just need another axel which are pretty cheap

1 Like

think maybe if you can find a slightly shorter axle it might help… or maybe grind half a mm off the threaded ends of a stock one…

1 Like

Yeah I’m taking a break from fooling with these. I’m trying to learn loops and wanted it for that but I do have a wood fixed axle that has been working, it just barely sleeps which seems fine because I suck and need a lot of response for now but it also still punishes bad loops. I’ll probably just end up ordering some other loopers eventually, this just taught me that I’d rather be tossing yo-yos than trying to get them set up right and I did learn a lot about the theory behind looping yo-yos so all in all I’m counting it as a win!

Fair enough. I find the tinkering and setup half the fun and the maintenance and cleaning therapeutic but that’s me.

I’m tempted to get a few fireball just to play with modding them a tad.

1 Like

It was a fun Yoyo and the one that still spins I’ll keep for 0a I just struggled to loop with them like it would go way way way high but other people definitely rock them

the looping up thing you could try to use longer string, but still shrinking gap is better when you can.

1 Like