metal yo-yo

as a rookie i have found that every question i have had has been answered by browsing the forums. the best advice has always been PRACTICE and that i do. i was very happy at Christmas when the grandkids wanted to see my tricks and actually were impressed. hoping next year to be buying yo-yos instead of video games. i want to start thumb grinds and do not want to remove a cap from dark magic. looking at metal and need your input. thanks in advance grandparock

DV888 is a nice choice. Do you know how to bind?

i’m hitting about 50% on binds but getting better with practice. i won’t give up because there is to much enjoyment between the frustrations. grandparock

DV888 is not a great yoyo for grinding. Especially if you are wanting to thumb grind.

Try a Lucky 7.

Fundametals from yoyofactory are always a great choice. But the new protostar is as good as a metal yoyo (and cheaper) aswell

A good grinding metal yoyo would be anything that has a beadblast or similar finish, and has an irg. Just look at yoyos you like and find something with both of those requirements :slight_smile: Good luck :wink:

now i will really show my knowledge. what does irg mean?

Ughhh. I know you weren’t asking me, but i have no clue XD

The IRg is Inner Ring Grind. Its the inside of the side of the yoyo. Its not cut flat. Its cut with a protruding lip for your fingernail to ride on. That’s only during grinds of course.

Personally, I’ve found my CLYW Pkea fantastic for grinding. CLYW Peak and Grind Machine 2 are my best grinders. The Peak could do a 10-15 second thumb grind (if you hold it at the right angle).

Best thumb grinder I have ever used is the 5 star. It is hard not to miss a thumb grind catch. And it is just all around and amazing yo-yo. The MVP and Falcon are also amazing yo-yos that are great for thumb grinding. But I should be getting a Pyro soon so we will see…

I have a boss, and the thing is amazing for thumb grinds.
I highly recommend it, btw; find it really cool you’re sharing your yo-yo’n passion to your grandkids :slight_smile:

Yah the General Yo 5 Star VERSION 2 Is great for THUMB GRINDS, arm grinds, finger grinds, palm grinds, etc. You can buy it at www.yoyonation.com Just search up: General Yo in the search bar in the high right hand corner. look for the result that says: General Yo Five Star Yo-Yo - Version 2

Here is a review of the yoyo: http://www.highspeedyoyo.com/reviews/5-star-2nd-run
I hope I could help.

P.S. I love the idea of you spreading the joy of the yoyo to your grandchildren! Rock on grandparock!

the difeyo tank is great for thumb grinding. it has a prety deep lip if you take out the o rings. plus the indention where the orings go help keep it on your thumb. normal grinding is pretty good too :wink:

Actually the best for thumb grinds is the Underdog. It has a coating that only it has. No other yoyo has it. Good luck finding someone that will sell you one though. lol

for all who replied i thank you and i have a better knowledge of what to look for. this is a great hobby for me and i hope to continue for years with all of your help. thank you grandparock ps i am now working on the suicide but i fear it might kill.

I know what you mean man, That’s one dangerous trick