Mental Illnesses

how long ago did you see the Dr.?

1 Like

About two months ago

2 Likes

I get ADD when I need to do housework. I will wash 3 dishes and walk away to do something else. I’ll hang up three shirts, and the laundry basket is still full.

At work I must stay on task, so it’s not a problem.

I think if I was married I’d bring these small tasks to completion. The perils of bachelorhood and too much freedom, there’s always “later” and not someone to remind you it’s their space too.

2 Likes

See, that’s the bizarre thing about ADHD; the symptoms are things that most people experience, the difference is the severity of the symptoms.

Try experiencing that same inability to sustain attention long enough to complete a task - with literally everything. Everyday, day in and day out.

And then consider how it must feel to have pretty much everyone around you tell you that they experience the exact same problem, and have to choose to be focused.

It’s like all of your best attributes and knowledge are locked inside of a jail cell, and you’re watching an imposter make a complete fool of yourself.

It’s a unique kind of hell.

5 Likes

This.

It’s very frustrating.
Then I feel judged because I feel like people think things like “Well if I can push through…why can’t he?” and I’ve spent a great deal of my life feeling a ton of shame for it all.

5 Likes

lol so true tho!

9 Likes

I recommend psychedelics over meditation ngl.

5 Likes

Tried both very many times.

Meditation is the far superior option for real world improvement in my opinion.

To each their own though, psychs have helped many people.

5 Likes

I pre-gamed sober October this past week…it’s gonna be a looooong month

3 Likes

Exercise can help improve mood, certainly, but there are plenty of physically fit folks who struggle with anxiety and depression. There are also plenty of folks who feel completely overwhelmed with just the thought of facing a simple walk around the block. Mind-body health go hand in hand, indeed, but when I hear stories such as this, I find it frustrating at best. It’s hard to fathom a trained professional would perpetuate the stigma of mental illness by suggesting anyone who exercises will be free of mental health issues. If it were only so simple, we would not have a kazillion dollar industry of licensed professionals educated to help those in need of mental health help. Ironically, they aren’t educated as personal fitness trainers for a reason. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

@JohnnyJ and @Durfee… tried them both, also many times. Though psychedelics were really fun and both were somewhat enlightening…

Jesus > Literally everything else in existence.

Yes, even yoyos.

:no_mouth:

6 Likes

The power of Christ is very healing. I’m glad you kind find comfort in the high :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m on the same train @Damb! :fist_right::boom::fist_left:

3 Likes

21 day meditation practice for anyone interested. Just a quick 9 minute meditation. It’s very powerful in emotional healing, I hope one of you are called to do it.

https://pranichealing.com/stream/anchor-light

3 Likes

Crippling depression, anxiety, most likely a.d.d but everytime i see my doctor I get distracted (suprise!), and have had a long history of substance abuse (specifically opioids). When I got off drugs, yoyos were one of the things I turned to because I did it in middle school until I started using drugs and they took over all my interest. I would say it helps with the add aspect since i can do it like anywhere, but ddepression and anxiety have made it hard for me to progress at it.

6 Likes

Same here, stay away from Ari

2 Likes

Who or what is Ari?

You had mentioned Sober October, thought you guys were referring to Joe Rogan, Bert Kreischer, Ari Schaffier and Tom Segura sober october event. They have podcasts and do a sober october challenge.

3 Likes

Oh! I didn’t realize. I am in the midst of sober October (feeling clearer than I have in 15 yrs btw), but I only heard about in passing through my wife. It just so happens to have come at a time when I’m trying to strive for excellence in all areas of my life and it’s definitely been a blessing!!!

4 Likes

personally my brother struggles with autism. i never like to use the word “suffer” because it makes it sound like the person is not “normal”. nobody who has a mental illness is suffering, theyre just like us and are expressing differently than others.

2 Likes